Bone dog

Discussion in 'Shed Hunting' started by cocowheats, Apr 17, 2017.

1. cocowheats

cocowheats Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Haven't posted in a long time. Not much to brag about but I'll give update
    IMG_0578.JPG
    So my buddy an I went to a new spot and there was way too much snow. As we're leaving , we are walking a frontage road out and all sudden bone dog disappears over the hill. We stop and are waiting and I say he better bring back an antler. About ten seconds later he bust the hill with this one. So cool
    IMG_0581.JPG
    IMG_0588.JPG bone dog in the black
    Couple days later we go in town and weren't finding any and as we were nearly back to truck I find half of one that was fed In town all year. He dropped in an odd spot by the jeep
    IMG_0604.JPG
    IMG_0623.JPG
    This was us few days later as we hit a new spot. He pulled four vs my two. His first and our sixth were his match. The second one was amazing as he was crawling under a down fall showing me his back side. I stood watching thinking he must have a bone to be working that hard. He slowly backed out with the match to his first find. He is something else
    IMG_0640.JPG
    And here is a break off he found yesterday. What a dog. If u don't have a dog, get one and train em. Best thing I ever did. People always say well that's cheating or that takes away from u seeing em first. I assure u there is nothing greater than watching your dog that you trained so hard working the field. I get so obsessed with him finding em that I rarely find myself looking because I'm always watching him. What a dog what days. I love u bone dog.

2. cocowheats

cocowheats Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Oh and we got super wet and cold and I ended up at the shop IMG_0641.JPG
    Htx no cam. Over grand later. Damn snow /rain.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Damn good dog, looks like the good old school black lab with a fat tail and close to 100 pounds.

4. John adams

John adams Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a blue heeler. cold I train him to shed hunt?

5. wbpdeer

wbpdeer Newb

Dislikes Received:
    John Adams,

Yes you can train him. The dog needs to have a hunt drive - meaning he is willing to work and search for his prey. You will teach him his prey is a shed antler. The dog needs to demonstrate a willingness to please you. He has to recognize the antler by sight and recognize it by smell.

I have two labs - one trained and the other is in the process of being trained. I worked with my oldest lab a great deal before I handed him over to a full time trainer.

I believe in training to sight first and then train to scent. The dog wants and knows how to use his nose.

If you are interested in training your blue heeler or any other dog, please send me a private message on here or email me. I am not a trainer just a dog owner who trained mine partially. My help is free with no cost $$ involved.

Wayne B. Pruett
    Portland, TN (north of Nashville)

[email protected]

615.517.4873 cell

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018