Blood trail!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Arrowhead, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Arrowhead

Arrowhead Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wednesday morning about 7:15am I was hunting in a lightly forested section between a marsh to the north of my stand and a slightly thicker forest to the south when I had two does come by my stand and stop downwind, to the east. I've had some really good luck with Irish Spring soap (really - that's the extent of my scent elimination except for keeping my clothes away from cooking smells). The oldest doe took a good long look at me, and she did some minor stomping while looking at ground level in my general direction, but I stayed perfectly still and she calmed down a little, when at that time they were joined by a fawn that came from the direction of the marsh. I thought that was odd, but they sniffed each other, looked around some more, and then continued on into the thicker stuff.
    At about the same time as the first does were leaving, I saw another one walking along the edge of the marsh near where the fawn had come from, followed by another deer. Soon, I could see that it was a buck, though not a trophy. It skirted along to the west of my position, following the doe, but broke off from her trail and backtracked in my direction. At about 12 yards, it stopped and took a good look at me.
    My stand is a sort of a home-made wooden tree seat supported by ropes, kind of like an old-fashioned wooden swing seat based on something I found on some bowhunting forum link. I think that because I'm not so erect in the tree that perhaps I just look more like some thick large twisted branch or something.
    After a good long look (but no scent, I was downwind from him) this buck continued slowly on quartering away, and then broadside. As he approached a shooting lane I drew, estimated that he was at about 25 yards, aimed just behind his shoulder, and let it go.
    I could tell right away that I had hit him well, as he took off in one direction before doing a u-turn and running into some thick stuff. I thought I could hear him going down then, but I waited 45 minutes before taking up the trail. I discovered that my arrow had passed right through and into the dirt, and soon after the trail looked like this.
    He went about 40-50 yards. Double lunged with a Rage broadhead from my trusty old 65# Hoyt Viper.

Attached Files:

2. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

3. rknierim

rknierim Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Great job! Congrats

sent from old school can and string

4. Granny's Slaughter House

Granny's Slaughter House Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I love a good blood trail! Beats being hunched over playing connect the dots! lol

Congrats!!!

5. Lung Buster

Lung Buster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on your buck!!! Good blood trails sure do make things a lot easier!

6. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What is that white stuff on the ground?:lol: That makes it look COLD.
    That's an awesome blood trail. Congrats on your buck.

7. Goosepond Monster

Goosepond Monster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the buck.

8. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great blood trail... I am judging by the blood under the buck that you had a forward angle from the entry wound. AWESOME!!!

But I am confused... I thought Rage broad-heads cause people to lose every deer hit perfectly. LOL Great shooting.

9. Treestandsniper

Treestandsniper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nice shot...congrats!

10. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats & great story. I enjoy blood trails like that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk