Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Blind, Climbers, or Ladder Stands... your opinions

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Parkerg31, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Parkerg31

Parkerg31 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My dad and I debate all the time over which is best. I personally use a Ole Man climber due to the fact that I can choose any tree I want in any area I want. He swears by his ground blind and will never stray or even give me the benefit of the doubt that climbers work. I think blinds are not portable enough and that ladders take to much work to only be able to cover one spot. What are y'all's opinions?

2. Billy Pulsifer

Billy Pulsifer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think not one is better than another. Climbers are great for moving without a doubt but the weight of them plus gear can make it a challenge. Plus no one person is silent climbing trees with them. (I use climbers regularly)

Blinds are possibly the most versatile as far as being able to go anywhere. They do restrict light and put you eye level with game not to mention the larger hub style blinds can weigh quite a bit where as the pop ups don't weigh much but lack significantly on space.

Ladder stands are my favorite, permitting I don't have to move them. They go up pretty easily depending on model. They are a synch to get in and out of, including staying quiet. The seats are generally quite comfortable and often sport arm rests and foots rests. They will work good on smaller trees where you may not put a climber or hang on.

Overall I think there are just to many benefits to each to come to a conclusion on the "best" it will likely be dictated by terrain. Versatility would be a ground blind for sure, mobility a climber, and all else a hang on or ladder stand would be sufficient means.

I probably made the topic worse LOL

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

3. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Completely depends on what situation you're in. I have a climber for when I'm hunting areas other than my property otherwise it's all ladder stands. I prefer ladder stands because they are easy to put up and I feel safest in them. I don't use my ground blind much because it's a cheap crappy one. I know I'd use one often if I had a better one.

4. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Public land I use a climber. A mobile hang-on and sticks (like Lone Wolf) is also a good choice because it gives you more options on trees. But I sold mine due to some health reasons and only have my climber now. I like ground blinds because they can help keep rain and wind off of you, but I find the lack of visibility a huge negative. I love being elevated and being able to see farther than I can in a blind.

On my friends farm in Ohio we have a combo of cheap hang-ons with ladder style sticks and a few ladder stands. I find the ladder stands a pain to put up, but other than I have nothing bad to say. I don't have a preference over a hang-on or ladder stand once they are hung.

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt at home so it is not even a discussion I use ladder stands.

6. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ladder for me also never have used anything else. I'm a coward.

7. vermontwhitetail

vermontwhitetail Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ladder stands on my 50 acres at home. A ground blind when I go out with the kids, keeps the wind rain and snow off them plus they get away with more movement. Use my climbers on public land so that I can take them with me when I get down.

I like hunting in a ladder stand the best but of course if you have to move them it is a pain. The blinds are great cause you can pick them up and move them very easily and you can't fall out of them but deer can get sketchy about them. The climber is probably the best all around pick but they are noisy getting in and out of the tree and can be sketchy climbing a tree if the tree has the wrong bark.

Needless to say, I use them all and utilize them as appropriate for the situation.

8. Fezzik

Fezzik Newb

Dislikes Received:
    climber or mobile loc on and sticks get my vote for the most versatile. I like being able to move from day to day based on what I'm seeing. Ive never had much luck in a ground blind but probably because I've never had one established long enough for the deer to get used to. They all have there place in the arsenal

9. rsf31tmp

rsf31tmp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I hate ladder stands. I feeling like they stand out like a billboard. I can see a time and place for them. Youth season, and helping others learn. But I just don't feel like I have an advantage. I do use them for shotgun. But if I am on my own, it is a hang-on or climber.

10. TomTom1

TomTom1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ladder stand for me, only hunt private land.

11. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've had deer walk between the ladder and the tree occasionally. That being said I've had that stand in the same spot for 12 years or so