Blazer vanes and cross wind

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by BB4tw, Sep 8, 2016.

1. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    For as long as I have been shooting, Blazer style vaned arrows have always visibly fish tailed in a cross wind. I thought this was just normal for all arrows until I bought a jig and fletched some myself with something different.

Straight or offset, factory installed Blazer style (short, high profile) vane. Fish tail all the way to the target.

A three inch, "normal" profile vane with a right helical flies straight in the cross wind. No visible fish tailing.

Both styles fly the same (to the naked eye) if the wind is calm.

If what I'm seeing is a normal, difference between the two vane configurations, why are Blazers so popular?

These are just my observations. For my use, all the Blazers have been stripped off my arrows and replaced.

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What is your arrow weight?

3. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I only shoot Blazers fletched at a good right helical and with fixed blades and I get excellent groups out to 50 yards (as far as I can shoot at home). I have tried them all but I always end up back with Blazers, for me they work the best.

You are not comparing apples to apples. Blazers with offset compared to a different vane at a helical will not fly the same. The helical gives the arrow a better spin which stabilizes the arrow better in flight.

4. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't notice any meaningful difference in POI between the two styles. The arrows all grouped together. The only difference is in visible flight characteristics. I suppose if I was a good enough shooter, a difference in accuracy could be seen.

My arrows weigh just shy of 420 grains. Based on the stated weight of the components.

On one hand, you're right it isn't an apples to apples comparison. On the other hand it is reasonable to compare them as a whole fletching system and not just vane style only.

My original theory was that the taller profile of the vane catches the cross wind more readily. Do you think that the spin of the arrow has more to do with it than the vane profile?