Black Flash vs IR?

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by twillcox, Jul 11, 2013.

1. twillcox

twillcox Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ive been looking at the cuddeback attacks and they have a black flash or IR camera at bass pro for $200. What is the true difference? I understand what IR is but not sure about black flash. Also does anyone have any idea if these cameras are good?

2. twillcox

twillcox Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    sorry the camera is actually the ambush.

3. cwest86

cwest86 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ive only bought IR so i cant tell you about black flash

4. Ky Bob

Ky Bob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Most Blackflash cams are actually low glow meaning you can only see a slight glow from 2-3 feet away. I use four blackflash cams and have yet to see a deer notice them. The red glow of the IR cams can be easily seen by deer and trespassers. If your hunting mature bucks blackflash is the only way to go. Some do use IR cams and have some luck mounting them about 8 feet high in hopes the deer won't notice them. IMO the best BlackFlash cam is the Covert Black60. HD Video and audio and flash range around 60 feet.

5. Fuzz_27

Fuzz_27 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^he got ya covered though i have yet to see a deer get spooked by an IR cam. But then again I ain't chasin mature deer.

6. J.K.

J.K. Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have used 1BF and 1 low glow cam so far. I have yet to have a deer notice the low glow(Ltl acorn 5210A 940nm), but have had deer notice the BF cam. Even though they sometimes notice the cam, they don't really avoid it. As far as the cudde goes, I wouldn't spend a dime on one. I had 2 of the flash version attacks, and they were a waste of $. 1 they missed alot of deer(Saw deer walk right infront of the cam & no pics when I went to check it :( ) & 2. poor battery life. In a total of 2 1/2 yrs of having the cams they only took 1500-1700 pics a piece, while a cheap wgi cam i used to have took 10x the pics in a month.

7. Ky Bob

Dislikes Received:
    I do have two Covert Red 40's but like I said I put them up about 8 feet high. I also use them for pics only and never use video where the red glow stays on for several seconds.

8. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Have only used IR and haven't noticed a single deer spooked from the glow. Lots of years and lots of deer too so I wouldn't personally be too worried about it.

9. SugarCreek

SugarCreek Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As technology progresses, soon there will be only two flash cameras:
    1. black flash;
    2. White (LED) flash;

Red IR cams will be obsoleted soon because they can be visible to animals and human.
    White LED flash can be visible too, but they don't spook deer and give you color. So a few percentage of
    users who don't worry much about theft will use white (LED) flash cams, while most others will use Black IR.

10. Ky Bob

Dislikes Received:
    I had this IR Red 40 up about 7-8 feet in photo mode and these deer still saw it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Deer are different. Any flash will spook some of them but not others. I run mostly white-flash cams and although they will look at it, I can't say I've ever seen them spooked from it. One thing I have seen more than once is having the IR cam in the movie mode. I guess since the flash is activated for so long they have a better chance of noticing it. If you put some sort of food or mineral down they will pretty much ignore everything but the food. As far as Cuddeback goes, I would avoid them like a bad habit. Go with a Covert or Bushnell. I have nothing but good to say about both.

Blessings.........Pastorjim