Black bear question

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Jordan86, Nov 9, 2014.

1. Jordan86

Jordan86 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm pretty new here, so hello everyone. I am constantly learning new things just perusing the forums here. I'm going to hunt with my brother tomorrow on a buddies land. Apparently there are a few black bear hanging around there and the land owner wants us to take one if we can. My question is where would I set up if I'm not baiting them? I am primarily deer hunting but if a bear shows up, meat is meat. I can bait in NC this week, but there are no established bait sites so I'm not sure it'd be worth it. Would it be best to just set over some place thick for deer and maybe I'll get lucky with a bear? What are your thoughts? This wouldn't be my first black bear but it would be my first with a bow. Pretty excited, hope I can sleep tonight!

2. MichiHunter

MichiHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Personally, I'd hunt deer. If you see the bear, it's a bonus. Buddy of mine last week, had a bear come into his corn pile and could not get it to leave for the life of him (Bear Season had just ended). He figured it would spook and run, by him saying "Bear" in a really light tone.

By the time the video was over, he was screaming at the bear, calling it every name in the book. Bear didn't care, just watched him make a fool of himself, and ate his corn.

Long story short, yes a bear will come and eat deer bait, but if there's a bear on your bait pile, the deer won't be on it. :)

Good Luck to you.

3. Jordan86

Jordan86 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks. I think that's what I'll do. Maybe I can get a bear bonus:)