Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Black Bear hunting with Bow Question?

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by Justin Goins, Jun 13, 2024.

1. Justin Goins

Justin Goins Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am going on a bear hunt in Maine next year, I only shoot about 54lbs 55lbs due to back issue/spinal fusion. Is 55lbs enough for a black bear? I have done a lot of reading and research on bears but I know some of you on here who hunt black bears a lot. I am shooting grim reaper fixed blade hades pro 3 blade. Anything I should change? Is it just shot placement on a bear?

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You will be fine, aim behind the front shoulder, bend at the waist. have fun dragging.

Justin Goins likes this.
  3. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Your whitetail setup is plenty sufficient to use for black bear. IME a whitetail deer has twice the toughness, endurance, and "will to live" than a black bear does.
    Hit them tight to the shoulder a 1/3 of the way up, they won't go far. You do not have the leeway of getting off their shoulder as much as a deer.
    Their thick fur can really soak up blood and make tracking a challenge if it is a high hit. Also, that long fur can make them a bit like aiming at a coyote, they look bigger than they actually are when it comes to actual body size inside that hairy outline. Make sure to really look at a lot of pictures of them and know where to hold.
    Best of luck on sticking a good one, we expect pics!
    Oh, and if you've never ate bear, I highly recommend making it all into pepperoni and/or summer sausuage, with a 25% to even a 50% percentage mix with pork. Jalepeno/cheese sausage is common and pretty darn good. Some people really like bear, especially a roast done properly, but the majority of folks are not really a fan of bear meat. But most like the pepperoni and summer sausuage.

@bucksnbears may have more insight when/if he returns to the forum, that guy has a ton of bear hunting under his belt.

Justin Goins likes this.
  4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It is hard to eat bear meat when you watch the bear chow down on maggot infested bait, just saying.

5. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    bears are wussies.

6. ILbowhntr

ILbowhntr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Properly cooked, bear is outstanding. I’d never leave a bear in the woods, but i don’t hunt off dumps.
    And yes, with a good broadhead, your setup is fine.

Attached Files:

RugerRedbone likes this.