Biologic Hot Spot

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by jrk_indle84, Feb 23, 2014.

1. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    **edited...nevermind.

2. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No didn't fertilize, just went in and sprayed round up and raked the ground about a week later when seeded. For no more prep then I did to it I'm pretty pleased with how its coming along.

Planted kinda early this spring to just see how it'd work. If goes good the plan is to clear a little bit bigger area and try to get a decent kill plot goin. Don't really have area where I'm able to put in a good sized plot so if can I'd like to get a few smaller ones here and there for late season when crops are out.

3. jake_

jake_ Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    first 3 pictures looks like alot of buckwheat, some rape and some oats. i forget what is all in that hotspot mix. But it is planted pretty thick, but it is growing to that is good.

last picture- hmm not sure what the heck that is as I am not great with weed names. IF you put that hot spot mix there, that is not something you would want to see growing i think.

4. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Ha yea I don't know what the last pic is either. Had some left over in seeder and didn't wanna keep it so just through it out in a bare spot that was in a clovet field. Its down in a corner and the deer and turkeys did a pretty good number on the clover. Whatever does grow will get mowed and baled up for cows anyway ha.

I figured it was a little heavy in the first couple pics, but as long as some comes up and see how its gonna do when I replant this fall I'll pay a little more attention so don't over seed.

5. nutritionist

nutritionist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well, since buckwheat is $1.00 a pound typically and austrian winter peas you should pay $.75 a pound for them...connect the dots....

6. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Yea I'm not sure where your going or even commenting on.

7. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Went out and checked cams two weeks ago and then went and checked plot last weekend while trying go adjust a camera that's close by. Anyway this is what got two weeks ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this was last week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's not coming on too bad but now it may peter out due to lack of direct sun. Theres spots here and there that get sunlight but most is shaded most of time. There's some weeds here and there also but with the minimal prep done its not bad. Not really sure what to think of whole process yet, was just kinda playing around but now really wanting to try and do it right next time around.

8. nutritionist

nutritionist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hotspot is Austrian winter peas (not sure why if planted in the spring why people plant those when good canadian peas are 40% the cost) , buckwheat and spring wheat.

This is a typical product in the market.

Buckwheat should be $1/lb
    Austrian winter peas $.75/lb
    Wheat $.40/lb

Should be a cheap mix, used to provide green manure to set up your fall food plot plantings.

Again, look at the tag for germ count and testing date as per any seed one buys.

9. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    I gotcha now, I actually threw some biologic maximum out becaise this was more of a test plot type thing and the bag was already ripped open so picked it up pretty cheap.

Not sure how much you've scanned through but the intentions of this was to see how it grew and to hopefully go in late fall or early next sprind and clear off bigger area to get a decent sized plot. Just kinda experimenting now with this being first attempt at plots but once I decide what I'm gonna do I do plan on just buying the seed and making own mix. Like you said its cheaper and most say the seed itself is better.

Thanks for info though.