Binoculars

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by JHasty, Jul 4, 2017.

1. JHasty

JHasty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys needing some advice on binoculars. I am looking at buying a new pair for this hunting season. I hunt in Georgia mainly in wooded areas where my longest shot may be 40 yards. Trying to find out the difference between roof prism and porro prism binoculars. Is one better than the other in certain hunting situations such as hunting in a wooded area compared to hunting huge open areas where you are glass if extremely long distances. Thanks for your help!

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

2. preachnhunt

preachnhunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am definitely not a tech guy , but in my opinion good glass is worth the price. Buy as good as you can afford.

JHasty likes this.
  3. Brock Downey

Brock Downey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm with you preachnhunt. Not a tech guy and don't pretend to know about roof prism or porro prism. However, I would strongly recommend looking into redfield rebel 10x42. Redfield is owned by leupold so the quality is good. Price point is good as well in my opinion. I was in the same boat this year and I spent quite a bit of time looking for a durable quality pair of binos that will be good in low light situations. I think I've found some in the rebels. Check them out

JHasty likes this.
  4. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Ive had a pair of Nikon Prostaff 7s in 10x42 for years and love them. Ive abused them and they till work flawlessly.

JHasty likes this.
  5. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I just got a pair of Vortex Viper 10x42's. Previously I was using a set of Nikon Monarch 5 10x42's that were good but not as bright or clear in low light. Before those I also had a pair of Zen Ray ED2's that had phenomenal glass but weren't built as well as the Nikon's or Vortex's.

I truly believe the Vortex Viper's are the best glass you can buy before getting into the $1k+ range. Their no fault VIP lifetime warranty is also worth it's weight in gold.

cant and JHasty like this.
  6. w1ckstar

w1ckstar Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a pair of Bushnell H2O 10x42 that have worked great for me for 2 seasons and can be found for under $100

JHasty likes this.
  7. kentuckybuck

kentuckybuck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Me and 2 of my buddies got a pair of Vortex diamondbacks 10x42 last year during Black Friday. Very pleased, big fan of Vortex in general. You can find them about every Black Friday for about $130. Heard good things about rebels as well.

JHasty likes this.
  8. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I find no functional difference between the two for hunting. my preference is for glass quality and price and will accept it in either prism style. if this is your first pair you might find it helpful to visit a basspro or other store with a good selection to look through to find what suits you best.

JHasty and pattillo11 like this.
  9. blackbear

blackbear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    JHasty likes this.
  10. TKP030

TKP030 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A pair of vortex diamondbacks or higher up model if you choose.

JHasty likes this.
  11. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    you'll get no argument from me that swarovski makes great glass. What I was saying is I don't think one prism type has a clear advantage over the other for hunting. while I didn't say it I meant for similar quality binos. I don't know if swarovski makes porros prism binos but Steiner does so taking one of each type of their $1000 or $2000 binos and comparing them would be a good way to check for a difference between the prism types for high end binos.

JHasty likes this.
  12. blackbear

blackbear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just a note, I'm a big weight efficiency guy, be careful of buying glasses way big, which means. Heavy. nice to spot big mountains but not for the stalk or sit.

Sent from my XT1585 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

JHasty likes this.
  13. Guns and guitars

Guns and guitars Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I own Swaro's for long range hunting. I also have been using Steiners for archery for the last few years until a friend at 3d shoots brought a set of Mavens.
    I picked up the B2's I would suggest taking a look at them, for what you get they are affordable.

JHasty likes this.