Binoculars issue

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by oldnotdead, Feb 10, 2023.

1. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    So I decided to write this now after a long issue.
    I bought son a pair of Leupolds. Got them on clearance from Basspro. A very good deal,so I thought. He opened them at Christmas. Then repacked them. Well he later opened them up and noticed a circular crack around the eye piece in housing. Almost like a stamped crack. Hubby called Basspro to return for another pair and was told no. Well...in I come. They tried to pawn it off on Leupold. No, I bought them from you. Well the day I sent them back, the return showed up as I was getting out of the car. GREAT!
    Son comes over and I said open them up and check them. Ma!!! They have the same exact crack! Hubby gets out magnifying glass and sure enough housing cracked. I call Basspro. They completely ignore the call and emails with pics attached.
    So have to go to Leupold. This was a shorter conversation but I am told they may be fixed or replaced. Then told they have been disconti ued. hhhmmm. after more questions told probably replaced with similar but not less.
    You will know in....several weeks!
    I have taken many pics documented entire ordeal and waiting to see how good Leupold will be on warranty. Pic of good side and pic of cracked side.

20230204_105736.jpg 20230204_105729.jpg

Last edited: Feb 11, 2023
  2. opossumhunterNC

opossumhunterNC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I just wish somebody would figure out how to make a pair of binos that you can use in the humid south without them fogging up within 5 seconds of putting it up to your eyes

3. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    It's no different here when freezing and your wearing a face mask putting then up to warm face

4. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    I had to laugh when leupold guys says" that's pretty bad luck getting two pair months apart with exact same issue". I said you have no idea, I was born on April Fools day. Then again surely Leupold wouldn't have dumped a bad batch on Basspro before "discontinuing " them ,would they? "You'll probably get a different pair the MD 100/45" or something? I don't know by that time I was zoning out ..dear lord! Why would you give me an opening...lol

5. opossumhunterNC

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve found the only kind of solution is to wear a binocular chest harness and throw several fresh hand warmers in with the binos. I keeps them warmer than the ambient temp and buys you enough time to get them focused and look for like 30 seconds or so before the fog moves in. Ive tried everything from a $100 pair of bushnells to a $1,300 pair of swartshieys and they all fog up around here. Went out west for a mountain elk hunt and nothing fogs up. It’s that dry cold. Most bino and scope companies are based in the west so it makes sense that they don’t get it for us moist people. Never had an issue with scopes because I’m not a mouth breather, but binos are a nightmare. It boils down to the fact that human eyeballs are covered with a layer of wet and when you seal them eyeballs up to a piece of cold glass it is gonna fog up. I can do just fine with binos on a tripod since I can turn the eye bumpers down and put them in glasses mode then just hold my head steady at the proper eye relief without using the eye bumpers (thus lots of airflow to blow my eyeball moisture away) but hunting in the woods and hiking through thickets and brush isn’t really suitable for carrying a bino tripod. I need a pair that I can use in hand without the fog of warmth.

oldnotdead likes this.
  6. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Well Leupold sent me an email. Upon inspection you are indeed due a replacement. Unfortunately they are on backorder and will take up to 6 weeks to get shipped out
    At least they admitted the lens housing was cracked

7. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Cat Crap

8. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Leupold is usually fantastic on their warranty, I have dealt with it a couple of times and ended up with complete replacements both times. But, you do have to deal directly with Leupold. Bass Pro or any other retailer won't do crap for warranty stuff if it is not the in house "Bass Pro" brand. While annoying, six weeks is not terrible, I waited 9 weeks for a pair of binos that were on backorder. In your case, if that model is no longer made, you will probably be getting a little upgrade in the process.

oldnotdead likes this.
  9. opossumhunterNC

Dislikes Received:
    Are you suggesting I rub cat poo on the lenses? I don’t know bout that? Sounds like a good way to get pink eye.

10. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    I know on glasses a wet finger with a touch of dish soap use to work. Though I'm not so sure I'd do that with expensive lenses

11. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

It's an antifog paste

12. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Yep - https://www.amazon.com/EK-USA-Crap-Anti-fog-Treatment/dp/B003RLJ6UE

Fogging lenses are one of the reasons I switched from glasses to contacts about 15 years ago. I couldn't handle them fogging up when I had a facemask on. When using binos in the cold, I always pull my mask down, breathe through my mouth, and try to push my breath out so as not to fog up lenses. Eventually, the heat from your face will fog them, but I've usually seen what I need to see by that time.

oldnotdead likes this.
  13. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My vortex razors do not fog nearly as bad as my cheaper diamondbacks but they still do a little bit.

14. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Leopold optics are all I use and have for many years. They're warranty is legendary and are one of the OG's of the lifetime game on optics. I've had nothing but flawless interactions with them when it comes to this. I've only had to use it twice. Once on a rifle scope that was probably 30 years old on my fathers gun. It started fogging up. Leupold replaced it, no questions asked. Second was a pair of binos that were probably close to 5 years old and the eye cup broke. Again, I recieved a brand new pair in the mail. I don't know how you can ask for anything more from a company.

15. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    The new ones came and son loves them Still Mckenzie but HD. He said much clearer pic and better strap with shoulder harness.
    Leopold came through in aces
    Basspro...not so much, so I will not trust them again.