Biking into Public Land

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Marauder, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Everyone,

I've been doing a little research about fat tire bikes and biking in public land. I want to do a bunch of scouting on public land this spring along with next year hunting. I'm pricing out bikes and know that I don't want an electric one based on not needing it and the cost. The plan is to buy a mid priced (500 dollar or less) and add a light and rack to be able to hunt and carry my stand and sticks.

Anyone have experience with the Rambo bikes or Quiet Kat bikes? I'm curious as to why a Rambo bike is much more expensive versus say a Mongoose. Let me know you thoughts and include pictures if you have them! Thanks! :tu:

2. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Had a buddy buy the electric one that you see at Cabelas (not sure of brand, kind of like the QuietKat FatKat). He has had nothing but problems with it. He didn't treat it badly and used as advertised on terrain that was more accessible than what was advertised in the YouTube videos. Chain kept coming off, the battery died frequently after little use, and every bolt in the back came undone while he was 1 1/2 miles back.

He got it from Archery Country. He finally got so sick of it that he bit the bullet and returned it for $1500 less than what he got it for (they let him trade it in for Sitka gear).

3. Marauder

Dislikes Received:
    Couldn't imagine spending 3 grand on a bike and then have problems a few miles back in public land. That would be miserable!

4. BuckEyeJay

BuckEyeJay Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use a dark green mountain bike I bought from Walmart for 140 bucks I put a back platform rack for like carring groceries on the back and sprayed it with truck bed liner so it wasn't chrome and dampened the noise i strap my stand and sticks a pack to it and I put atv gun bow holders on the handle bars 2 of them to hold my bow while riding it's perfect works great for long distances especially in the lower gears and I'll just leave it around 100 yards away downwind locked to a tree while I hunt cause we can't use electric or gas bikes here in illinois it a sweet little bike it cost me around 250 bucks after it all but well worth it the atv holders hold a bow very tight and In place even on very bumpy surfaces if you get one get one with suspension it's more comfortable to ride I'll post pics of mine when I get home later.

5. Marauder

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the information! Appreciate it! :tu:

6. TheNatureBoy

TheNatureBoy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I bought a Raleigh rode bike this summer to ride for exercise. Hadn't ridden a bike in 20 years. Surprised how much I enjoyed it. Going to follow this thread and entertain the idea of using bike to get to some hunting spots. No motorized vehicles on public land here, I use my boat to get to some places.

7. BUCKS UP

BUCKS UP Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I use a mountain bike I have had for many years. I mounted bow holder brackets on the handle bars. A GPS bracket holder on the frame. I mounted a cable lock holder on the frame too, which I have yet to use the lock. I carry my Lone Wolf hand climber on my back. The one problem that I had last year was the brakes screeching. I am going to replace the brake pads for next year, I hope that eliminates that problem. I didn't paint this bike, I really didn't see any reason to, I just throw it behind a stump or blow down and I am ready to go. If you have any hills in your area be ready for a work out. Electric bikes aren't allowed on the MFL land I hunt in Wisconsin.

8. primetime_Deion

primetime_Deion Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Going back deep can be well worth it on public land. My uncle and I canoe like 2.5 miles back down a river to get to our spot and we call it the promised land for a reason, deer everywhere way back there. Nobody bothers to walk that far and there's no good paths to bike

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

9. Onetrakryder

Onetrakryder Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My user name comes from my other passion-man biking single track. The truth is at that price range there won't be much difference. The money in bikes comes from both frame material and components-you won't find high end componentry at your price range. However, even that Mongoose will do just what you want. Keep in mind you need to keep the chain lubricated to keep things running smoothly. Keep brake surfaces clean without getting solvents or oils on them-that means rotors or rims. And the whole point of those fat tires is to be able to run low tire pressures. You won't go as fast as a standard width tire but you will be stable and can handle more weight. Give yourself time to get where you're headed. Fat tire bikes can feel slow but they won't beat your body up. Good luck.

10. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Something to consider is you may want a shorter end to end frame than you otherwise would buy- helps maneuvering between trees if that's a concern.

Also, like tree stands: bike weight seems to directly correlate to price- cheaper almost always equals heavier.

11. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use my mountain bike for fishing on occasion, but not for hunting. Terrain wouldn't allow it.

Attached Files:

12. Marauder

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the great feedback guys!

sent from my mini hand held phone