Big green egg

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by MN_Jay, Dec 1, 2013.

1. MN_Jay

MN_Jay Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ok so I'm thinking of taking the next step in outdoor cooking and getting the BGE. From what I've read there is no question they are a great unit. There's actually what seems like a cult following.

The big question is cost. Is it worth the $1000 it costs for the egg and needed accessories? I'm thinking of taking the plunge but wondering if anyone here has one and can tell me if it's worth the money? $1000 is a lot if money for a grill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. crxwolski

crxwolski Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have one buddy that bought his 3 years ago and he says good things about it. Me on the other hand, I'm cheap and would look for a knock off brand one.

3. okie_flinger

okie_flinger Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Knockoff? The BGE is the knockoff here of the original Japanese kamado pot grill. My dad brought several waist high, bulbous clay hibachis from Japan back to the states in the 60s and gave them to all his friends. I still have one and use it occasionally. I bought another one a few years ago at a garage sale (before the BGE became popular) for $25.

They work famously, but I would poke around and find a good (not cracked) used one or an alt brand before I paid full retail for a BGE.

4. Goosepond Monster

Goosepond Monster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The in-law's have one and it is pretty awesome. You can use them to cook/bake many different things.

I don't know how the knock off brands compare, but I would have a really hard time dropping that much on a grill. I'd say that it would be the last grill you'd ever buy.

5. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a big red egg kamado style grill. I only payed $200 for it at Menards on sale and love the thing. This grill probably isn't the quality of the bge but it does a hell of a job for much less.

Might be a good way to get your feet wet with a kamado before taking the plunge.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

6. MN_Jay

MN_Jay Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That's funny, I logged on here this afternoon to ask that exact question. I was at menards this morning and saw them there for $279. Obviously not the quality of the BGE but like you say, may be a good way to get my feet wet. This all came about when I decided that a slow cooked prime rib would be awesome for Christmas eve dinner. If I get a little more time I'll google some reviews for it.

Thanks!

7. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You can get a baking stone that you put in it for smoking. I've used it a few times.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

8. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    $1000? Are they really that much? My brother, uncle and cousin all have them but I'm sure they didn't pay that much.

Also, my uncle built a stand for it cheap. It's so cool.

As far as function: Yes, they're awesome. Every year we have a big "pulled pork off" for my girls' birthday over memorial day. I have a charcoal style grill I use. I have to get up every hour to check it. They set the temp, load it up with smoke chips and sleep soundly all night.

I'm definitely going to look for one. Just doesn't fit the budget.