big acre farm hunting

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Garrett Godlewski, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Garrett Godlewski

Garrett Godlewski Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So this is my first year hunting big farmland, I'm used to hunting small acre woods. I've hunted this farm once or twice in previous years but never really paid attention to it or tried to focus on it. Last year, I hunted it mid/late November and the buck sign was unbelievable so I decided to spend a lot of time/energy on this farm for this year. Anyway, so far this year has been a lot slower than I hoped/expected. when the buck transitioned from the summertime pattern, I wasn't seeing any buck on the property for a while. Now within the last couple week or so, some smaller bucks are starting to filter back onto the area I'm hunting. My stand is on the inside wood edge connecting to a soybean field. My theory/what I'm hoping to be true is that now since the smaller buck are popping up, the bigger ones should be coming back soon? Maybe I'm off but I just was looking for any experiences or info if people hunt big farmland, I'm trying to learn put the pieces together here

2. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It will take a while for you to learn it. I would just go with your gut and hunt, me personally, I have basically written this season off. it's been awful. I will hunt until the last day of bow season which is Nov 13th. but at this point it will be on the fly and off the hip.

Garrett Godlewski likes this.
  3. Garrett Godlewski

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah part of me wants to focus on my other property and forget the farm, but I know there’s some HUGE buck around so it’s a dilemma..

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

4. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I think you are right about the bigger bucks showing up after the smaller ones. If you leave the farm for more familiar spots to hunt you should try to put out cameras to confirm one way or another.

Are there any does bedding on the farm?

5. Garrett Godlewski

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, one of my stands is in a ridge that has doe bedding on my left. Another stand on the property is set up on a trail that connects bedding to the soybean field (not my stand but I think that's how its set up)

6. Garrett Godlewski

Dislikes Received:
    I have a field edge stand and a lot of doe filter into the field in the PM, but no buck early season. Now that its getting towards the rut and bucks are chasing, I'm thinking the buck will come out to the fields as well?

7. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes they will. I had 3 in the field last night with 11 does. They came out from 3 different locations and started checking the ladies. These deer were scattered over a 100 acre corn field.

Garrett Godlewski likes this.
  8. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The trick right now is staying on the does in farm country.

Garrett Godlewski and GregH like this.
  9. Anthony Hough

Anthony Hough Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Ditto! Still!
    Primary or secondary scrapes by doe beds!
    Pick a spot, don’t look at his head gear and let it fly!
    Good luck!
    Getting in now

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums