Bible study thread

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by boonerville, Jun 15, 2015.

1. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Saturday October 8

[The Samaritan] approached him and bandaged his wounds.—Luke 10:34.

In an effort to help with the healing process, the neighborly Samaritan poured oil and wine on the injured man’s wounds. The two denarii left with the innkeeper for the man’s care amounted to about two days’ wages. (Matt. 20:2; Luke 10:29-37) It is often difficult to find compassionate people like the neighborly Samaritan. Especially is this so in these critical “last days” when multitudes have no natural affection, are fierce, and lack a love of goodness. (2 Tim. 3:1-3) Christians do such things because they love their neighbor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Sunday October 9

I will prove to be with you.—Ex. 3:12.

Can you imagine how you would feel if you had to stand before the most powerful ruler on earth and speak up in behalf of God's people? You would likely feel anxious, inadequate, and intimidated. What could you do to add power to your words as a representative of the almighty God? Moses was in that exact situation. God had told him, “the meekest of all the men on the face of the earth,” that he was being sent to Pharaoh to rescue God’s people from their oppression and slavery in Egypt. (Num. 12:3) As events would prove, Pharaoh was a disrespectful and arrogant man. (Ex. 5:1, 2) Yet, God wanted Moses to order Pharaoh to let several million of his slaves leave the country! Understandably, Moses asked God: “Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?” Moses must have felt inadequate and incapable. But God assured him that he would not be alone.—Ex. 3:9-11.

3. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Monday October 10

I see in my body another law warring against the law of my mind and leading me captive to sin’s law that is in my body. Miserable man that I am!—Rom. 7:23, 24.

Satan would like to destroy your relationship with God, whether with frontal attacks of persecution or by slowly nibbling away at your faith through subtle attacks. One of the most effective subtle tactics Satan uses is discouragement. The apostle Paul admitted to feeling discouraged at times. Now, why would Paul—a spiritual “giant”—call himself a “miserable man”? Paul said that he felt this way because of his imperfections. He really wanted to do what was right, but he felt another force working against him. If you on occasion struggle with such feelings, do you not find it comforting to know that even the apostle Paul faced a similar challenge?

4. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Tuesday October 11

I will make with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah a new covenant.—Jer. 31:31.

Long before the Law covenant was canceled, God foretold through the prophet Jeremiah that He would make with the nation of Israel “a new covenant.” (Jer. 31:32, 33) That covenant would be unlike the Law covenant in that it would make possible the forgiveness of sins without the need for animal sacrifices. Centuries later, Jesus instituted the Lord’s Evening Meal on Nisan 14, 33*C.E. Speaking of the cup of wine, he told his 11 faithful apostles: “This cup means the new covenant by virtue of my blood, which is to be poured out in your behalf.” (Luke 22:20) Matthew’s account quotes Jesus as saying regarding the wine: “This means my ‘blood of the covenant,’ which is to be poured out in behalf of many for forgiveness of sins.” (Matt. 26:27, 28) Jesus’ shed blood validates the new covenant. That blood also makes possible the forgiveness of sins once and for all time.

5. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Wednesday October 12

By means of him we have the release by ransom through the blood of that one, yes, the forgiveness of our trespasses.—Eph. 1:7.

The sacrificial death of Jesus Christ, who willingly ‘handed himself over for us,’ has profound meaning for all who love him and his Father. (Gal. 2:20) Nonetheless, it was what Jesus did after his death and resurrection that truly released us, making forgiveness of our sins possible. Jesus fulfilled what was foreshadowed in the Mosaic Law on the Day of Atonement. On that day, the high priest took some of the blood of the sacrificial animals into the Most Holy of the tabernacle, and later into Solomon’s temple, and presented it before God, as if in his presence. (Lev. 16:11-15) In like manner, Jesus entered heaven itself with the value of his human blood and presented it to God. (Heb. 9:6, 7, 11-14, 24-28) How grateful we are that we have our sins forgiven and our consciences cleansed because we exercise faith in the blood of Jesus!