Bible study thread

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by boonerville, Jun 15, 2015.

1. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thursday September 8

Keep doing this in remembrance of me.(1 Cor. 11:24).

Night has fallen, but a full moon bathes Jerusalem in soft light. It is the evening of Nisan 14, 33*C.E. Jesus and his apostles have celebrated the Passover, commemorating Israel’s deliverance from Egyptian bondage 15 centuries earlier. With 11 loyal apostles, Jesus now institutes a special meal—one that will memorialize the death he will experience before this day ends. (Matt. 26:1, 2) Jesus says a blessing and passes unleavened bread to the apostles, saying: “Take, eat.” He takes a cup of wine, again offers thanks, and says: “Drink out of it, all of you.” (Matt. 26:26, 27) Jesus will not pass other food items to them, but he will have much more to tell his faithful followers on this momentous night. So it was that Jesus instituted the Memorial of his death, also called “the Lord’s Evening Meal.” (1 Cor. 11:20).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  2. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Friday September 9

Speak consolingly to those who are depressed. (1 Thess. 5:14).

We can lift the spirits of depressed ones by expressing our genuine care and concern for them. We can offer sincere commendation to help them see their positive qualities and abilities. We can remind them that God drew them to his Son, so they must be precious in his eyes. (John 6:44) We can reassure them that God deeply cares for his servants who are “brokenhearted” or “crushed in spirit.” (Ps. 34:18) Our words can have a healing effect on those who need comfort. (Prov. 16:24) We have the responsibility to nourish, encourage, and refresh each other as fellow sheep. (Isa. 32:1, 2; 1 Pet. 5:2-4)

3. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Saturday September 10

It is good that I have been afflicted, So that I may learn your regulations. (Psalm 119:71)

What could be good about suffering affliction?Hardship can teach us to rely more fully on God, to pray to him more earnestly, and to be more diligent in studying the Bible and applying what it says. Moreover, our response to affliction can reveal personality flaws that can be corrected. Suffering will not make us bitter if we allow it to refine us

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  4. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Sunday September 11

I have seen a limit to all perfection, But your commandment has no limit. (Psalm 119:96)

What is meant by ‘an end to all perfection’? The psalmist is speaking about perfection from a human viewpoint. He likely had in mind that man’s concept of perfection is limited. In contrast, God’s commandment has no such limit. Its guidance applies to all aspects of life. “To all perfection I see a limit,” reads the New International Version, “but your commands are boundless.”

5. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Monday September 12

All things...that you want men to do to you, you also must do to them. (Matt. 7:12).

How can we apply this “Golden Rule” given by Jesus? Basically, by taking two steps. First, we should ask ourselves, ‘If I were in the other person’s shoes, how would I want to be treated?’ Then, we need to follow through, accommodating the other person to the extent possible. (1 Cor. 10:24) We often apply the Golden Rule in our dealings with friends and family. But Jesus did not indicate that we should extend this consideration only to those close to us. He actually mentioned the Golden Rule when he was discussing how we are to treat people in general and even our enemies. (Luke 6:27, 28, 31, 35).

6. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Tuesday September 13

Drawing near to God is good for me. (Ps. 73:28).

If we ponder over what the Bible says about God's interactions with his faithful servants of the past, we will learn countless wonderful things about our God. Thus we will come to know God very well and come to love him deeply. As a result, we will be able to draw closer to him. (Ps. 25:14) We should never draw away from God. If we have allowed some distance to develop between him and us, we should act in accord with Hosea 12:6, which states: “Return to your God, maintain loyal love and justice, and always hope in your God.” Draw closer and closer to God by reflecting appreciatively on the ransom and by diligently studying his Word, the Bible. (Deut. 13:4) Continue to learn new things about God and come to appreciate even more the many reasons to love him. That in turn will draw God closer to you.

7. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Wednesday September 14

Do not say: “I will do to him just as he has done to me.” (Prov. 24:29).

Have you ever heard someone say, “I will give him a taste of his own medicine”? Jesus recommended a more positive way of handling difficult situations. This rule of conduct is so well-known that it is often called the Golden Rule: “Just as you want men to do to you, do the same way to them.” (Luke 6:31) Jesus meant that we should treat people the way we would like to be treated and not repay unkindness with unkindness. In marriage, it means that we need to put into the relationship what we hope to get out of it. Married people strengthen their relationship when they are sensitive to their mate’s feelings. “We have tried to put the Golden Rule into practice,” says one hudband. “True, there are times when we’re upset, but we have worked hard to treat each other the way we would like to be treated—with respect and dignity.”

8. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Thursday September 15

As the eyes of servants look to the hand of their master, And the eyes of a servant girl to the hand of her mistress, So our eyes look to Jehovah our God Until he shows us favor. (Psalm 123:2)

What is the point of the illustration about the eyes of servants? Servants and maidservants look toward the hand of a master or a mistress for two reasons: to determine his or her wishes and to receive protection and life’s necessities. Similarly, we look to God in order to discern his will and to gain his favor.

9. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Friday Sept 16

“We all received ...undeserved kindness upon undeserved kindness.” JOHN 1:16.

A winegrower went to the marketplace early one morning to hire men to work in his vineyard. The men he found agreed to the wage he offered and went to work. The owner needed more workers, however, and returned to the marketplace throughout the day to hire more and more men, offering a fair wage even to those whom he hired at the end of the afternoon. When evening came, he gathered the workers together to give them their wages, and he gave the same amount to each of them, whether they had labored many hours or just one. When those first hired realized this, they complained. The winegrower replied: ‘Did you not agree to the wage I offered? Do I not have the right to give all my workers whatever I want? Are you envious because I am generous?’ (Matt. 20:1-15 ftn)
    Jesus’ parable reminds us of one of God's qualities that is often mentioned in the Bible—his “undeserved kindness.” (Read 2 Corinthians 6:1.) The workers who had labored only one hour did not seem to merit receiving the full wage, but the owner of the vineyard showed them extraordinary kindness. Regarding the word for “undeserved kindness,” which is translated “grace” in many Bible versions, one scholar wrote: “The whole basic idea of the word is that of a free and undeserved gift, of something given to a man unearned and unmerited.”

10. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Saturday September 17

Go on bringing [your children] up in the discipline and admonition of Jehovah. (Eph. 6:4).

Is that an easy assignment? No! Children are faced with an onslaught of satanic propaganda as well as with their own imperfect inclinations. (2 Tim. 2:22; 1 John 2:16) Some parents have noted that communication is more challenging when their children become teenagers—they may tend to withdraw and feel awkward about revealing their thoughts and feelings. If that is true of your children, what can you do? Rather than force your son or daughter into long, serious discussions, try to take advantage of casual opportunities. (Deut. 6:6, 7) You may need to put forth extra effort to do things together. You might go for a walk or a drive with them, play a game, or work together on some chore around the house. Such informal settings may help adolescents feel at ease and more inclined to open up.

11. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Sunday September 18

The Kingdom of God will be taken from you and be given to a nation producing its fruits. (Matt. 21:43).

In the first century C.E., God cast off the unfaithful nation of Israel. However, that did not mean that he would be without an organization of loyal servants on earth. God transferred his blessing to a dynamic new organization centered on Jesus Christ and his teachings. It had its start on the day of Pentecost 33*C.E. At that time, about 120 disciples of Jesus were gathered at a place in Jerusalem when “suddenly there was a noise from heaven, ...and it filled the whole house.” Then “tongues as if of fire became visible to them and were distributed, and one came to rest on each one of them, and they all became filled with holy spirit and started to speak in different languages.” (Acts 2:1-4) This amazing event furnished undeniable evidence that God was backing the new organization, the one consisting of Christ’s disciples.

12. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Monday September 19

The borrower is a slave to the lender. (Prov. 22:7).

God knows that we need some money. But money cannot protect and sustain us the way godly wisdom can. (Eccl. 7:12; Luke 12:15) In many cases, individuals underestimate the cost of certain financial decisions, and end up being saddled with greater debt than they can manage. Rather than being freer to serve God, they end up serving those to whom they owe money. The wise course is to avoid going into debt in the first place. Seek God's direction before you make decisions and commitments, not after making them. Pray for his holy spirit, wisdom, and guidance. (2 Tim. 1:7) Ask for Scriptural advice, and show your faith and trust in God's promise to help you by following his counsel. (2 Cor. 1:24).

13. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Tuesday September 20

It is enough! Now, O [God] , take my life away, for I am no better than my forefathers. (1 Ki. 19:4).

How did God feel when he looked down from heaven and saw his faithful prophet Elijah in despair? Did he reject his servant because he temporarily became depressed and lacked courage? Not at all! God took into account Elijah’s limitations and dispatched an angel. Twice the angel encouraged Elijah to eat. Thus, his upcoming journey would not “be too much for [him].” (1 Ki. 19:5-8) Yes, even before giving any directions, God listened to his prophet and took practical measures to sustain him. How can we imitate our caring God? We should not be quick to offer advice. (Prov. 18:13) It would be better first to take the time to express our empathy to those who may think that they are “less honorable” because of their personal circumstances. (1 Cor. 12:23) Then we would be in a position to act appropriately, according to the true need.

14. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Wednesday September 21

Look out that no one takes you captive by means of the philosophy and empty deception according to human tradition. (Col. 2:8).

Early detection of disease may save a person’s life. Similarly, we can avert disaster if we quickly identify tendencies that could lead us into temptation. As soon as we discover such leanings, it would be wise for us to take immediate action—before we are “caught alive by [Satan] to do his will.” (2 Tim. 2:26) What should we do if we notice that we have allowed our thinking and desires to drift away from what God requires of us? Without delay, we must humbly return to him, open our ears to his counsel, and listen to him with all our heart. (Isa. 44:22) We must realize that making a poor decision could scar us so badly that we may have to suffer serious consequences in this system of things. How much better it is to avoid going astray by acting promptly to prevent such a serious mistake!

15. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Thursday September 22

This is what you are to say to the Israelites, “I Will Become has sent me to you.” (Ex. 3:14).

To enhance our appreciation for God’s name, it is good for us to meditate on its meaning. Commonly translated “Jehovah,” the divine name comes from a Hebrew verb that can describe action and can be translated “to become.” When commissioning Moses to lead God’s people out of Egypt, Jehovah revealed an aspect of his personality by using a related verb to describe his name, this time in the first person. The Bible record states: “God said to Moses: ‘I Will Become What I Choose to Become’ [or, “I Will Prove to Be What I Will Prove to Be”].” (Ex. 3:14, ftn.) Thus Jehovah, in any circumstance, will become whatever is needed to accomplish his purpose. To the once-enslaved Israelites, he proved to be a Deliverer, a Protector, a Guide, and a Provider who satisfied all their material and spiritual needs.

16. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Friday September 23

Maintain your conduct fine among the nations, so that ...they may be eyewitnesses of your fine works and, as a result, glorify God. (1 Pet. 2:12).

We need to cultivate spiritual qualities that will help us to pass through “the great tribulation” into God’s righteous new world. (Rev. 7:14) Are we able to get along with people, including those whom we consider to be temperamental or overly sensitive? We do well to heed the words of the apostle Peter, who urged fellow believers: “Honor men of all sorts, have love for the whole association of brothers.” (1 Pet. 2:17) Whether we are at home, at work, at school, or at play, we should make every effort to bring glory to God through our fine conduct. True, as imperfect humans, we all make mistakes. (Rom. 3:23) But by continuing to “fight the fine fight of the faith,” we can successfully win the battle against our imperfect flesh. (1 Tim. 6:12).

17. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Major struggle for me. Patients for knuckleheads I have very few.

18. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Ha! You and me both.

19. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Saturday sept 24

As for the tree of the knowledge of good and bad, you must not eat from it. (Gen. 2:17).

After Eve was created, Adam informed her of God’s command. She knew it well and was able to repeat it almost verbatim. (Gen. 3:1-3) She did so to someone who presented himself as a serpent, a cautious creature. The one behind the serpent was Satan the Devil, a spirit son of God who had allowed himself to nurture a desire for independence and personal power. (Compare James 1:14, 15.) To achieve his evil ends, he accused God of lying. He assured Eve that reaching out for independence would result, not in death, but in becoming like God. (Gen. 3:4, 5) Eve believed him, asserted her independence by eating of the fruit, and persuaded Adam to join her. (Gen. 3:6, 17) The Devil had lied. (1 Tim. 2:14) Still, Adam “listened to [his] wife’s voice.” Though the serpent might have seemed to be a friend, Satan the Devil was in reality a cruel enemy who knew the fatal consequences of his suggestion to Eve.

20. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Sunday September 25

I praise you because in an awe-inspiring way I am wonderfully made. Your works are wonderful, I know this very well. (Psalm 139:14).

The natural world is filled with wonderful creations. How did they come to be? Some believe that the answer can be found without referring to an intelligent Creator. Others hold that arbitrarily ruling out a Creator limits our ability to understand nature. They believe that earth’s creatures are far too complex, too varied and, you might say, too wonderful to have originated by chance. To many people, some scientists included, the evidence shows that the universe had a wise, powerful, and benevolent Maker. King David of ancient Israel was one who was convinced that a Maker deserves praise for His wonderful creations. Although David lived long before today’s scientific era, he perceived that he was surrounded by marvelous examples of God’s creative work. David needed only to consider his own makeup to be profoundly awed by God’s creative ability. “I shall laud you because in a fear-inspiring way I am wonderfully made,” he wrote. “Your works are wonderful, as my soul is very well aware.” (Psalm 139:14). David gained this strong conviction by thinking seriously. Today, school curriculums and the media are replete with faith-destroying theories about man’s origin. For us to have faith like that of David, we too must think seriously. We cannot afford to let others think for us, especially on such fundamental issues as the existence and role of a Creator. Moreover, contemplating God's works strengthens our appreciation for him and gives us confidence in his promises for the future. That, in turn, can motivate us to get to know God even better and to serve him.