Bible study thread

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by boonerville, Jun 15, 2015.

1. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Saturday Feb 13

The crowds were astounded at his way of teaching.—Matt. 7:28.

Jesus used good judgment when he preached the good news, choosing “gracious words” that amazed his listeners. (Luke 4:22) He often let God’s Word speak for him—reading, quoting, or referring to just the right scriptures to make his point. (Matt. 4:4, 7, 10; 12:1-5; Luke 4:16-21) Jesus also explained the Scriptures, doing so in ways that moved the hearts of his listeners. After his resurrection, when speaking to two disciples on their way to Emmaus, he “interpreted to them things pertaining to himself in all the Scriptures.” The disciples later said: “Were not our hearts burning within us...as he was fully opening up the Scriptures to us?” (Luke 24:27, 32) Jesus was “mild-tempered” in his spirit and attitude. (Matt. 11:29) He was always patient with his disciples despite their failings. (Mark 14:34-38; Luke 22:24-27) He remained calm even when he was treated unjustly.—1 Pet. 2:23.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Sunday Feb 14

The Israelites became terrified.—Ex. 14:10.

Was this predicament unexpected? Not at all. God had foretold: “[Pharaoh] will chase after them, and I will glorify myself by means of Pharaoh and all his army.” (Ex. 14:4) Nevertheless, the Israelites saw only what appeared to their physical eyes—the impassable Red Sea in front of them, Pharaoh’s swift war chariots behind them, and an 80-year-old shepherd to lead them! They felt trapped. Yet, Moses did not waver. Why not? Because his eyes of faith saw something far more powerful than a sea or an army. He could “see the salvation of Jehovah,” and he knew that God would fight for the Israelites. (Ex. 14:13, 14) Moses’ faith inspired God’s people. “By faith they passed through the Red Sea as on dry land,” the Bible says, “but when the Egyptians attempted it, they were swallowed up.” (Heb. 11:29) Thereafter, “the people began to fear God and to put faith in Him and in his servant Moses.”—Ex. 14:31.

3. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Monday Feb 15

Well done, good and faithful slave!—Matt. 25:21.

In the four illustrations recorded at Matthew 24:45 to 25:46, Jesus highlights traits that would distinguish his true followers in these last days. In the illustration involving the faithful slave, Jesus highlights the need for the small group of anointed ones entrusted with feeding his domestics during the last days to be faithful and discreet. In the parable of the virgins, Jesus stresses that all his anointed followers would need to be prepared and to be vigilant, knowing that Jesus is coming but not knowing the day or the hour. In the parable of the talents, Jesus shows that the anointed would need to be diligent in carrying out their Christian responsibilities. Jesus directs the final illustration, the parable of the sheep and the goats, to those with an earthly hope. He emphasizes that they would have to be loyal and give full support to Jesus’ anointed brothers on earth.

4. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Wednesday Feb 17

Love never fails.—1 Cor. 13:8.

Genuine love is not easily provoked and “does not keep account of the injury.” (1 Cor. 13:5) Were we to hold a grudge, we would not be pleasing God and would, in effect, be tending a smoldering fire that could flare up, harming us and others. (Lev. 19:18) Love makes us rejoice with the truth, but it will not allow us to “rejoice over unrighteousness,” even if a person who hates us is mistreated or suffers some injustice. (Prov. 24:17, 18) If someone offends us but asks for forgiveness, love moves us to forgive him. Love “believes all things” in God’s Word and makes us grateful for the spiritual food we receive. Love “hopes all things” recorded in the Bible. We also pray and hope for the best outcome in trying circumstances. Love “endures all things,” whether these are sins committed against us, persecution, or other trials. Moreover, “love never fails.” It will be displayed by obedient humans throughout all eternity. 1 Cor. 13:4-7.

5. FLO

FLO Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Great thread. I am currently single and am looking for a bearded man that bowhunts and loves Jesus. Preferably from the Northeast somewhere. PM me if you know of someone.

6. Jeremy/PA

Jeremy/PA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Any chance this thread will fire back up? I enjoyed them and I am sure others did as well.

7. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sorry I got super busy the last few months with moving. I will start it up again tomorrow!

8. Jeremy/PA

Jeremy/PA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No need for apologies! Thanks for taking time out of your day to do them.

9. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Wednesday August 17

Continue putting up with one another and forgiving one another freely. Col. 3:13.

One of the crucial building blocks of an enduring marriage is forgiveness. The marriage relationship is undermined when a couple keep a mental record of old grudges and often use them as ammunition for fresh attacks. Just as cracks can weaken a building, grievances and resentment can develop in our heart, making it increasingly difficult to be forgiving. By contrast, strong marriage bonds are forged when husband and wife treat each other in a forgiving way, as God treats them. (Mic. 7:18, 19) True love “does not keep account of wrongs.” (1 Cor. 13:5, ftn.) To counteract a tendency to be unforgiving, work on having a thankful and appreciative disposition. Make a practice of giving your spouse sincere commendation. (Col. 3:15) Experience the peace of mind, unity, and divine blessings that come to those who have a forgiving disposition. Rom. 14:19.

10. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Thursday August 18

The virgins who were ready went in with him to the marriage feast.
    Matt. 25:10.

A quality that helped those virgins to be ready was vigilance. Would it be possible for individual Christians to get sleepy during a long nighttime vigil? Indeed. Note that Jesus says of the ten virgins that “they all became drowsy and fell asleep.” Jesus knew well that even a willing, eager spirit may be hampered by the weakness of the flesh. Faithful ones have heeded that implied warning and have worked ever harder to remain vigilant, watchful. In the parable, all the virgins responded to the nighttime shout: “Here is the bridegroom!” But only the vigilant ones endured to the end. (Matt. 25:5, 6; 26:41) What about faithful anointed ones today? Throughout history, they have responded to strong evidence that, in effect, cries out, “Here is the bridegroom”—just about to come. They have also endured, keeping ever ready for the Bridegroom to arrive.

11. kentuckybuck

kentuckybuck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    First off just found this thread, but excited to try to get on each day to read daily post.

As for today's it is a good reminder to myself that I want to be ready for His return. This world is getting more and more wicked each day, and so easy to get extremely busy. I want to make sure that I stay in prayer and conversation with Jesus each day. I got home late the other night, and laid down tired. It hit me, you didn't pray. Part of me wanted to just say quick prayer but I just didn't feel good about it, I thought I need to go take some real time in prayer with God. So I got up and went and prayed. Did me good and slept silently that night. Now I'm not saying you cant pray laying in bed or need to do this or that, that was just me that night. But felt like it kind of went with todays study. Thanks again boonerville for taking time to do this. If I don't respond all the time, I will definitely try to read each day.

12. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome. That was the intent of the thread from the beginning. To get people thinking. You are spot on about the world. It is deteriorating fast.

13. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Friday, August 19

If anyone does not provide for those who are his own, and especially for those who are members of his household, he has disowned the faith and is worse than a person without faith. (1Tim.5:8)

The apostle Paul directed that when older Christians cannot make ends meet, their children and grandchildren should “repay their parents and grandparents what is due them.” But Paul went on to urge all Christians to be content with their daily necessities—food, clothing, and shelter. We should not constantly be striving for a higher standard of living or for future financial security. (1 Tim. 5:4; 6: 6-10) To ‘provide for one’s own,’ a Christian does not need to seek material riches in this world, which will soon pass away. (1 John 2:1517) We must not let “the deceptive power of riches” or “anxieties of life” put at risk our family’s “firm hold on the real life” in God’s righteous new world!—Mark 4:19; Luke 21:34-36; 1 Tim. 6:19.

14. cj22drake

cj22drake Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This thread is like a breath of fresh air. Thanks to all who participate

15. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the post. Speaks to me especially today one of my biggest struggles is contentment.

16. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Saturday August 20

As a father shows mercy to his sons, God has shown mercy to those who fear him. For he well knows how we are formed, Remembering that we are dust. Psalm 103:13,14

God is fully aware of our limitations. Therefore, he does not expect us to endure in our own strength but offers us his fatherly help. Of course, at times, we might feel that we cannot go on anymore. But he assures us that he will never allow his servants to suffer beyond their limit of endurance. Yes, he will “make the way out.” (1 Corinthians 10:13.) Therefore, we have good reason to trust that God's assessment of what we can bear is right.

17. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Sunday August 21

As a father shows mercy to his sons, Jehovah has shown mercy to those who fear him. Psalm 103:13

Why does God not give us an immediate response to our every request? Recall that he likens our relationship with him to that of children with a father. A child cannot rightly expect a parent to grant every request or to do so right away. Some of a child’s requests may be mere passing whims. Others must wait till the time is right. Still others may not be in the child’s best interests or in the best interests of others involved. Furthermore, to concede immediately to a child’s every request would change the relationship to one of master and slave, the child being the master. Similarly, God may in our best interests allow time to pass before his response to our prayers becomes evident. That is his prerogative as our wise Creator, loving Master, and heavenly Father. Fulfilling all our requests right away would distort the proper relationship between us and him. (Isaiah 29:16; 45:9.)

18. tkaldahl2000

tkaldahl2000 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This brings Garth Brooks "Thank God for Unanswered Prayers" to mind. Sometimes the best answer is no. I have also found that just because He is silent sometimes it doesn't mean He hasn't answered.

19. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Monday August 22

If errors were what you watch ...who, O God, could stand? Ps. 130:3.

Had you been there with Moses when Aaron made a statue of a golden calf, how would you have felt about Aaron’s weak excuses? (Ex. 32:21-24) Or how would you have considered Aaron’s attitude when he criticized Moses for marrying a foreign woman? (Num. 12:1, 2) How would you have reacted when Aaron and Moses failed to honor God at the time He miraculously provided water at Meribah? (Num. 20:10-13) In each of these situations, God could have punished Aaron on the spot. But He discerned that Aaron was not a bad person or gravely at fault. And when he was confronted with his own mistakes, he readily admitted them and supported God's judgments. (Ex. 32:26; Num. 12:11; 20:23-27) God chose to focus on Aaron’s faith and repentant attitude. Centuries later, Aaron and his descendants were still remembered as fearers of the true God. Ps. 115:10-12; 135:19, 20.

20. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Tuesday July 23

Let the one who thinks he is standing beware that he does not fall. 1 Cor. 10:12.

Consider King David of ancient Israel. As a young person, he was victorious over the Philistine giant Goliath. David became a soldier, a king, a protector, and a decision-maker for a nation. But when David relied on himself, his heart deceived him and he committed a serious sin with Bath-sheba, even arranging to have her husband, Uriah, killed. When disciplined, David humbly admitted his error and reestablished his relationship with God. (Ps. 51:4, 6, 10, 11) So let us heed the advice found in the scripture for today and not become overconfident. Since we are unable to ‘direct our step,’ eventually we will listen either to the voice of God or to the voice of his Adversary. (Jer. 10:23) May we pray constantly, follow the leadings of the holy spirit, and always listen closely to God's voice. (Isa. 30:21).