Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Best way to ask permission?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by INbowhunter, Sep 12, 2023.

1. INbowhunter

INbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm lucky to have my family's land with lots of deer presence but I'm also surrounded by very productive timber lots that are all owned by the same elderly gentleman who doesn't live nearby. I looked up his tax assessments and obtained a current address and phone number. What do y'all think gives me the best chances, sending a letter, making the drive to meet in person or just cold calling him? If he was local I would just drive over and meet with him like I've done before.

dstouffer likes this.
  2. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Face to face is usually always best.

MUDSHARK likes this.
  3. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Face to face always. A persons demeanor upon meeting in person goes a very long way. You cannot convey certain characteristics via phone/letter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I like a letter to introduce yourself and let them know you hope to swing by in person but didn't want such an act unannounced to be perceived as intrusive out of respect for them. Provide a phone number on it so that way if they really already know in their heart of hearts its going to be a no and they don't want you coming by you can then on the phone thank them, ask them if they'd be okay with you maybe checking in the future (if they are a no because someone hunts) or even discuss really anything under the moon.

Many of the acquaintances I've gained over the years has been from this way. Even if they don't lead to hunting now...they may in the future or you never know when you might need a hand someday and that one farmer you spoke to you shared with you how they have building background and might give some advice on your shed build or detached garage build....

5. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Definitely face to face, let the landowner know who you are and your values. I have good results with this approach.

6. buttonbuckmaster

buttonbuckmaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Around here
    Screenshot_20230913-163512.png

cantexian and dprsdhunter like this.
  7. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would call first. I don’t like the letter because it’s difficult to make a good impression. To many variables. Obviously face to face is the best but it sounds like that is off the table.

I secured a lease this way a few years ago. It took more than a phone call but it lead to meeting face to face. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Life by the Horns

Life by the Horns Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I like face-to-face, because people seem to have a harder time saying no in person. At least that’s my experience anyway. Letters, texts, and even phone calls are easy to dismiss.

Westfinger likes this.
  9. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Here is PA its becoming next to impossible to just get access to ground unless you know a person who knows a person. Most the ground here is owned by hunters who are already hunting it, or owned by farmers who hunt or have family who hunt it. Luckily, there are millions of acres of public ground and plenty of elbow room.