Best things in life

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Fix, Dec 17, 2018.

1. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Bright blue puffy clouded sky with moderate warm sunny conditions,topped off with a light steady breeze

2. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Thank God at least the young people in other countries appreciate our great veterans.

3. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    congrats!

We locked in a refi today @ 2.5% and that with some time spent shopping around for new homeowner's insurance; we now have reduced expenditures of almost $600/mo. Real money.

Prediction- I'll be spending most of the evening on landwatch.com

oldnotdead and Sota like this.
  4. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you, OND.

oldnotdead likes this.
  5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Close at 11:00 am Tuesday morning there will be boat drinks Tuesday evening.

6. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:

In Future News:

Dateline June 30, 2020-

Somewhere on a Lake in Minnesota:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Okiebob, greatwhitehunter3 and Sota like this.
  7. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    not sure how many people this will be applicable to, but here's how we saved almost $800 per year on insurance-

if you have 3 or more vehicles to insure + your home, you can split your assets across different providers and still get the multi-policy discounts.

So for us, we went with Geico for my truck and camper*, and USAA for my wife's car and homeowner's. Sure we have certain discounts that not everyone would get, but we saw time and time again that by splitting the policies we were getting better overall rates. The insurance companies count on you just being "comfortable" and wanting to keep it simple by sticking everything under one carrier for both vehicles and homeowners.

* For most carriers, Camper/RV insurance is really expensive especially considering how little they get used when compared to other vehicles. Geico has really cheap and still good camper insurance when you insure your regular vehicle with them. It's only like $120/yr for mine which is valued at $10k w/ up to $15k in personal items replacement
    No, neither me nor my wife work for Geico, USAA; or any insurance company.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    Okiebob and virginiashadow like this.
  8. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    that 15 days of leave taken = minimum 31 days total hunting and that's not counting the "regular" random Sat/Sun weekends that I didn't bookend with leave in there.

9. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Almost like you knew what you were doing.
    Sent from my SM-G960U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

dnoodles likes this.
  10. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Went up to get the first moving trailer at the daughters, got to see my grandson he was stoked as was I. Love that kid.

11. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Spent the weekend down at my friends hunting camp checking cameras and filming a minisode. Was much needed, we didn’t get to turkey hunt WV due to Covid.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldnotdead and virginiashadow like this.
  12. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have owned an insurance agency for 30 years. Most carriers will not allow multi-policy discounts between carriers. USAA and Geico must have some common ownership or re-insurance. Other carriers will not do that. Also, most companies will not allow you to split a household on auto insurance. Meaning, only one auto carrier per household is required. Reason being, some coverages like uninsured motorist are not auto specific, but named insured specific. You could end up with both companies being involved in a single claim and fighting with each other over who is going to pay your claim. Same could be said if both of you are in an accident in one of the vehicles when it comes to medical payments etc., depending on each states insurance laws. Also, most umbrella companies will not allow auto risks to be split. In most states, it really can create a lot of issues.

Also, all standard auto companies are exposed to the same risk for losses. If someone is a lot cheaper than the rest of the field, you can bet they are a PITA when it comes to collecting on claims. That is honestly the only way they can save so much money to run leaner than their competition. The carriers you mention have a really bad rap around here for being very difficult at claim time.

All I am saying is, do your due diligence when shopping insurance. Not all carriers are decent to deal with and there can be a huge difference between policies on what is and what is not covered. If a company is more than 10% cheaper than most of their standard competition, you probably better take a very hard look. Remember when you are buying over the phone, that person is just a sales person, they really have no interest in making sure you have the proper coverage. There is a good chance they will not be in that position very long and all they really want is to make the commission as quickly as possible and get to the next call. It's just a numbers game. Do yourself a favor and take those policies to a trusted agent that can look them over, give you competitive quotes and explain the differences in coverage. Then you can decide if the cheap policy is in your best interest. If it still is, good to go. But I can tell you that I get a lot of customers from companies like USAA that love the cheap premiums until they have a claim and find out there was a good reason.

Just some ramblings from a veteran agent that has seen some really sketchy things over the years.

13. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My family has over 40 years of continuous coverage for our homes, cars and businesses via the same Allstate office, I can recall at least two different owners off hand. They treat us well. We blanket our cars, boats, RV and homes and I even added some term life. I put a 2M umbrella policy on top of it all. its great to have everything in one place. With the years of continuous coverage we have we get the platinum coverage for about the regular rates. In all my shopping around over the years the only time I have found substantially lower rates was because of lower limits in coverage. After insisting that quotes mirror the exact limits, I have found the differences to be either negligible or not there. When I did find something slightly cheaper, I callef up our broker and talked to hin and he always always find a way to lower the costs.

fletch920 likes this.
  14. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    My situation described in my earlier post is for identical coverage.

I have had both Geico and USAA off and on for various things over the years. I also had Liberty Mutual a long time ago for a vehicle.
    Geico sub-insures (correct term?) their Homeowner's to Liberty. Maybe that has something to do with being "allowed" different providers in the same household? Honestly I have never heard of that being 'banned' before- I was always on my own policies/providers separate from my parents after I was 18; even when I lived with them.

I am not a fan of Geico's claims process but it is not horrible. The main issue is they make you take your car to a specified list of repair shops. Other than that it's not bad. I only had one auto claim when I was with Liberty and it was great- some kid t-boned me at an intersection- his fault. Liberty paid for my rental car (which was a lot nicer than my Cherokee) for 2 months while they fought it out with that kid's insurance company, which IIRC was State Farm. Then when it was all said and done and they decided to total my Cherokee, they let me retain it with a salvage title which I did because being a Jeeper I just stripped it down, fixed her up with a bunch of aftermarket tube fenders, some new rocker panels and she was still road-worthy. I miss that Jeep...but I digress.

USAA has been great on aut0 claims. Not sure about the homeowner's side but I guess I hope I never find out either way.

I guess after all is said and done; we do agree that it pays to shop around.

fletch920 likes this.
  15. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Guy bought my old alumacraft this morning started the motor he looked it over and said I don't need to drive it looks perfect. Gave me a stack of honey bees and he was off.

Okiebob, Fix, virginiashadow and 4 others like this.
  16. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I needed this clip today.

axtell343 and cantexian like this.
  17. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Going out for dinner tonight for the first time in over 4 months and the last time in the area. Going to the sushi place. Going to start with the beef scallion roll with teriyaki sauce and go from there. Yes I will ask for a fork too.:eek:

fletch920 likes this.
  18. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ha, I always get crap for getting and using a fork. I refuse to fumble around with chopsticks.

jrk_indle84 and Sota like this.
  19. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The fork a definite better (more efficient) tool for us (obese Americans) to stuff our maw, but chopsticks are a victory in dexterity.

20. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received: