Best things in life

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Fix, Dec 17, 2018.

1. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I had a good cup of coffee this morning and dont have to work. Good enough for me.

2. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

I must be doing something wrong. I got done with work at 10 last night just so I could install a toilet at home. I have the day off today but have to go work at mom's. What is a day off ?? I have forgotten. Every day it is good morning Sh*t Show !! What do you have in store for me today. Best part... it is never boring so I really enjoy it.

Have a great day.

oldnotdead, GregH and virginiashadow like this.
  3. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Headed to my Bro-in-Law retirement from the Air Guard. 22 year career. So proud of him. Couldnt have asked for a better guy to marry my sis.

4. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My oldest son is playing flag football for the first time this fall. He has the athleticism and intelligence to be a QB. I have been working with him at home every day since practice started two weeks ago so he can learn the offense. He didn’t get any reps during a two hour practice this morning. I could tell he was frustrated. But, instead of pouting, he walked over to me and me to work with him on the field. After a few plays, the coach came over and started watching him work with me on the empty field. The coach ended up staying almost an hour after practice and promised my son more reps. I am pretty sure my son proved what I have thought watching the practices; he is already better than the second string QB. With practice, I think he will quickly become better than the coach’s son who is currently #1.

If there is a drawback, he proved he is also one of the better slot receivers and RBs in the plays he was given. He has the potential to be the QB, just needs to be given a fair shot. So satisfying to watch my son persist and prove he deserves a shot

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
    oldnotdead, Shocker99 and TJF like this.
  5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Coach installing his kid as QB, I have seen that many times I vowed to never show favoritism when I coached my kid.

6. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    i am the same way when I coach. In this instance, the coach’s kid is a good athlete. But, He is smaller and has less of an arm then my son. If the coach’s son proves himself better, I am cool with it. I just want my son to be given a fair shot.

oldnotdead likes this.
  7. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Seen this so many times in my life. My Dad used to get so mad at this when I was younger. He told me just to go out and run people over and hit them as hard as I could. We moved so many times when I was younger that I had to prove myself over and over again. Usually by game 1 the coaches kid wasn't the running back anymore.

wl704, cantexian and Swamp Stalker like this.
  8. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Three whole days of spoiling my grandson. Next time I see him he will be walking!

20210910_112852.jpg 20210910_113346.jpg

oldnotdead, Fix, Sota and 2 others like this.
  9. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, I want my son proving himself every time, even if I am the coach. Last spring, he became one of the better pitchers on his baseball team. I brought him to close out a game for the win. He didn't have it that day, so I pulled him after five batters. He wasn't happy in the moment. But, after the game I explained that as the coaches son, he had to work harder than anyone else to prove he deserved his opportunities so people didn't think I was playing favorites.

My boys had their first flag football games yesterday. Both my boys made great plays that helped earn the win. As I suspected and mentioned in my first post, the second string QB wasn't ready. My son is going to get the reps in tomorrow's practice and, if he does well, a chance at QB next weekend. We will be working tonight when I get home from work. Heck, my son wanted to work last night when we got home from the game. The kid is just that driven and has the work ethic.

virginiashadow likes this.
  10. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I had only met my BiL a few times before he married my sister. At their wedding reception, I tell my BiL:

Me: "You know, I like you so much more than all the other guys she's banged."

Him (laughs): "That's my wife you're talking about."

Me: "That response right there is why I like you more than those guys."

We've been pretty good friends ever since.

oldnotdead, Wop 75, Fix and 5 others like this.
  11. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Weird here I am in downtown Milwaukee have lunch at a sports bar near the convention center. I was talking to the guy next to me, he asks me where I am from, I said Minnesota he said I know that where in Minnesota. Told him I live in Burtrum, nobody knows where Burtrum is. Turns out him and his wife take their side by side to the bar in Burtrum every Saturday. The bar is 12 miles from my house, guess I have picked up the local accent.

oldnotdead likes this.
  12. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    #Donchaknow

13. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    How is SportsBar spelled in Somalian?:lol:

Going hunting this weekend Sota?

14. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Get home Wednesday night in the office Thursday work friday leave for the airport Sunday morning, not likely hunting.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  15. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    For over 10 years I've been coming across a grouse in the same spot on a road near my home. Usually it is either spring or fall.

Yesterday it was a bit chilly in the morning when I left. I came across this guy sunning himself in the middle of the road. I got within 8 feet and he wouldn't budge. I had to get out and shoo him to the side of the road.

It appears to be a young one molting his feathers. I don't mind when this happens. There are a lot worse things I could come upon while driving. Besides, I find their mating dance in the spring to be amusing!

grouse.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

oldnotdead, Wop 75, TJF and 3 others like this.
  16. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    They're also wonderfully delicious!

cantexian, Mod-it and GregH like this.
  17. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    About time for dispersal for grouse kind like when the fawns do dumb stuff when the does are breeding because they are on their own.

GregH likes this.
  18. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've always said that the grouse is the best tasting wild bird.

19. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Got home last night and was talking to my wife, I told her I wasn't so sure about going to the Packers game with my son in October, said I wasn't just feeling it. My wife asked what the hell is wrong with me, not sure I wanted to go to a Packer game in Green Bay with my son? I booked the hotel this morning, son is excited too.

Shocker99 likes this.
  20. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My Mom finally got her hip replaced today, she needed it done a year ago last January but because of open wounds from infection and other issues it did not happen until today. I sure hope this is the thing that gets her back mobil she has been in terrible pain for over 19 months, she is by far the toughest person I have ever known.