Best thing to mix with corn...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by ohiohunter, Jul 23, 2012.

1. ohiohunter

ohiohunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wednesday I am throwing some corn out with my trail camera. I would buy some monster raxx but I obviously don't have time to order it between now and then. What do you guys mix with corn that gets the best result?

2. smackhonda

smackhonda Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    CDY_0072.jpg buck jam.....they love it. you can buy it at walmart. I put it in a plastic bottle and hang it from a tree and then poke a hole in it to let it drip out.

3. ohiohunter

Dislikes Received:
    what about mixing that with corn?

4. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I mix corn w corn...cause there honestly isn't a need for anything else when attracting deer.

5. HuntingBry

HuntingBry Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    LOL, this is exactly what I was thinking. If it's in the right spot you don't need to do much else to the corn to make it more attractive to the deer. My biggest problem is keeping enough out without breaking the bank.

6. sycamoretwitch

sycamoretwitch Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've used sweet feed and crack corn mix and it works pretty well. Usually just go 50/50 on both, the deer love it! So do the Coons. lol Just ration it out, I use a 10 gallon bucket and usually spread it in a single location once every two or three weeks. They will have it pretty much chewed up in a weeks time, but that doesn't mean that they don't keep coming back and browsing in the area.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  7. big_quillie

big_quillie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Oatmeal and rice bran is good to mix with corn. You can also add a canister of table salt to corn. We have a bad problem with bear so I try to stay away from anything sweet. I have found that anything that gets soggy when wet, deer will usually stay away from.

8. Rancid Crabtree

Rancid Crabtree Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Grape or cherry kool-aid powder. I heard about this years ago from an old-timer who hade great results.

9. Copehunt

Copehunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've never mixed anything special with it. It's expensive enough as it is without doing so and I'm sure with the drought it will sky rocket in price soon. I personally think plain corn is sufficient and they tear through a 40 pound sack in 4 or 5 days when I do put it out. Some of that is due to other animals though...

10. VA_Bowhunter

VA_Bowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You can mix it with some c'mere deer gravy, but as mentioned, corn by itself will usually do the trick. If no deer are coming to your corn, then you most likely are in a bad spot. Try to find a slick deer path deep into the woods and spread your corn somewhere where they could easily smell it. If you want some daylight pictures go deep into the woods and find a slick deer path and put your corn there. If you want daylight pictures, try to put it somewhere where the deer feel camouflaged (around tall grass or something). You usually don't need to mix it with anything else though.

I'll usually follow an entire path and put goodies up around it. I put 3 trail cams at 1 of my hunting spots. I'll drop a little corn in one area, put a camera up, then follow the path about 40 yards and then put peanut butter on some of the trees and put another camera up there, and then I'll usually put some c'mere deer, acorn rage, buck jam on down the path. That way they see that path as one of their favorites. Just make sure you do everything you can to cover your scent.

11. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I use corn 99.9% of the time . The deer find it in about 2 days. It has such a strong aroma that they find it easily. I have been adding MonsterRaxx Whitetail Magnet and I have been getting great results with it. It brought in deer I had not seen before. We get corn at a good price because we buy 300 bags at a time. I put out 150 lbs a week now that the deer are coming in regularly. I cut back to 100 llbs when acrons start to fall.
    Found a new product and tried it to and it worked really well. It is called Trophy Buck is made with a mixture of corn, mixed grain and ROASTED PEANUTS! Smells good enough for me to eat! :D It smells like caramel corn and sells for $11.00 per 50lb bag. I will use it during Pre-rut to bring the Big Boys in!

12. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  13. twillcox

twillcox Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I put out a molasses horse feed mixed with corn that i get at my local farm and feed store for much cheaper then all the stuff u see on tv

14. southern

southern Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Mix coffee can of bb2 with 5 gal bucket of corn.best stuff on the market.

15. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Apples > Corn

16. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have had great results with imitation vanilla extract. Normally I don't have to use anything. The longest it has taken for them to find it was about a week. I dumped that bag in the middle of my property near no know trails purposely just too see how long it would take. Nothing added to it. Once they found it, they cleaned it up in about 2-3 days.

17. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What is bb2?

18. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I know it smells BAD!!!

19. ohiohunter

Dislikes Received:
    I talked to someone today and he said that minerals are the best idea right now because they have so much food everywhere they don't know what to do with it. The place I hunt is within 700 yards of about 5 bean fields. The guy said they would much rather fresh greens that dried up corn. I bough a mineral rock and I am going to try that and then if that doesn't do the trick I am going throw out some corn. One idea I had today, and please tell me if you have ever heard of it, was maybe filling up 2 or 3 5gallon buckets of water and setting them out. The place that is divided by a creek that runs the length of it. It is bone dry right now. I figured if there is anything they are looking for, its water....however I don't know how they would feel if the water was stagnant. Just an idea!

20. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Water is a great idea. Those rocks are over 90% salt with % of minerals figured by the .00_%.