Best spot and stalk animals?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Seaves, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Seaves

Seaves Newb

Dislikes Received:
    New to hunting and very attracted to the idea of spot and stalk style hunting. Everything I’ve seen on whitetail hunting is tree stand hunting. What do you guys think is the best animals to spot and stalk?

2. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you can afford to travel then Coues deer in AZ is a huge challenge. Elk is also high on that list.

Chipper Cooper likes this.
  3. Seaves

Seaves Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Was really loving the idea of an elk hunt! Concerned about getting the meat out though as I’m the only person on the hunt (don’t know anyone to go with). Any ways to get it out efficiently? (Currently plan on just hiking the deer out)

4. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Best way is to pay for me to go and I'll help you quarter and pack it. I'll send dates that work for me. Don't worry I am a wilderness ninja when other ppl buy my trips. download_20190704_084622.gif

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    slickbilly-d likes this.
  5. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    High country Mule Deer( late season mules down low are fun too) , Caribou, Black bear on the west coast, Coues deer, Sheep and Goats

6. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You can stillhunt/ spot and stalk whitetails. It is extremely challenging and a thing of the past for the most part. it works best if you have large tracts of public land to hunt. one of the main reasons why people have gone to the trees is because of the added advantage, and limited access to large tracts of land. If your interested in learning more about stalking, do yourself a favor and buy this book: https://asbellwool.com/products/stalking-still-hunting

7. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would say Mule deer and elk for spot and stalk. Elk are tougher since there's usually several eyeballs to watch out for, it's always a cow you didn't see that busts you.
    As far as getting an elk out by yourself, the best chance is going to be a pack frame and boning it out on the spot. Have game bags, bone out the animal, try to find a nearby creek or draw that is cooler than the ambient temperature to store it while making trips in and out, and then hike, hike, hike until it is all out. Then straight to a cooler. Really depends on how hot it is and how far away you are from the road as far as how long you have to not start losing meat to bone sour.