Best Self Filming Camera

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by Brad Bever, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Brad Bever

Brad Bever Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't know you could use the LANC remote with Sony cams! I think I am getting the ax100 from campbell cameras, but i would need to use the sony remote. Could you maybe direct me to the adapters you use? Because like you said, I like the Sony camera features, but not the remotes. Thanks for the help!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  2. Brad Bever

Brad Bever Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks alot for the help guys! i have looked at all those cameras and I have it narrowed down to the Sony ax100 or the Canon xa20. I like the ax100 because it shoots in 4k, which we're starting to see more of. Plus, with the wide angle of 4k, I can worry less about getting the deer in frame and more about the shot. I appreciate all the input!

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Here are the two cables that will allow you to use a Lanc controller w. the standard 2.5mm jack to the Sony Multi port.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003P9VN86/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Amazon.com: Sony VMCAVM1 A/V R Adapter Cable: Electronics

4. Brad Bever

Brad Bever Newb

Dislikes Received:
  5. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Honest answer. Not really. It has play in the tilt before you get to the fluid motion. There's probably a good 1/8" to 1/4" of travel before you feel the resistance. Pan works perfectly fine. I also have a Manfrotto MVH500ah, but the plate is so long the it covers the battery release button on the X70. The fluid motion is much better on the MVH500, there's zero travel before you feel the resistance, but I have to be able to change the battery without taking the plate off. After the season, I plan on sending the Vanguard head back to them and see if they can fix it or replace it. I'm hoping I just got a defective one because I really like the size and design. Once I get past that travel in it, it works great, but without that being fixed, No I'm not really happy with it.

6. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You can shorten the plate on the Manfrottos. I had to do it years ago for a Canon HV30 and now use that short plate for my Canon XA20. I will do some digging to see if I can find the photos of it. If not I can take some when I get home to show you how.

7. Brad Bever

Brad Bever Newb

Dislikes Received:
    i have a Cullman that came with my 3rd Arm tree arm, and that's how mine is. Alot of play in it before you start to actually move it, and its hard to get it to sit i one spot. I will probably buy a manfrotto for next year

8. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    I actually have a shorter plate, one for the 501hdv. It works in the 500, but the safety catch doesn't work for the short plate and it would be possible for the camera to fall out. Not likely, but possible. That's why I have been reluctant to use it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

9. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What you can do is drill and tap a hole for a set screw. Then using loctite on the set screw, leave it stick up and it serves as the safety catch. That is what I did. I'll find those photos or take some new ones later.

10. Tree Stand Whacker

Tree Stand Whacker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I love my Canon Vixia hf r500. I spent 400 dollars ish on a bundle and I got the camera, two batteries, a few chargers, 32 gb SD card, cleaning kit, shotgun mic, and an attachable lighting system. If you're looking for higher quality cameras and willing to spend more, the easiest to use camera is the canon g20 in my opinion. I haven't gotten to use it a whole lot but it just seemed easier to use for me than the xa20. But I personally would stay away from and SLR or any thing like that. I am apart of a filming group and my buddy has an slr. It is just too hard for me to self film with. That could just be my lack of knowledge about the camera though. Heres a few videos I have taken with my canon vixia hf r500

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7O5RPMi3Ko

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGGsHDaVp_s

And here is a video filmed with the SLR. One thing I do like about the slr is the ability to blur objects out with the zoom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dXGEm_Lds0

And if you are interested in checking out more of our videos and staying tuned with how my whole team I'm apart of is doing check us out on facebook! We are a young group of guys trying to get started in the outdoor industry! We appreciate your support!

https://www.facebook.com/PointedOutdoors

11. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Is there any lanc receptive decent camera you'd recommend in the $400-$750 range anyone?

12. coheley665

coheley665 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Have a cannon hf g20, rhode shotgun mic, lanc remote I would take up on that offer if your wanting to down grade after season.

13. coheley665

coheley665 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    paying attention to this becuase I am running into the same problem. I have just been finger tightening the plate so if needed I can swap out

14. TXhoghunter94

TXhoghunter94 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a XA20 with the mhv500 Manfrotto fluid head. The plate is very long but I scoot it forward just enough where I can still take out the battery and the only thing it affacts is its not really easy to use the small accessory wheel buy the hood but I haven't been using it for now.

I would also highly recommend the XA20, zero complaints after a full season of using it and very cheap in my opinion for what all if offers.