Best safety harness

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Logman, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Logman

Logman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What's the best safety harness out there right now. Looking for wearability and best bang for my buck. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

2. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've always liked the HSS Ultralite line, I have two of them. Very quick to take on/off and quite comfortable as far as a harness is concerned. Quick connect clips and easy adjustments, might want to put some tape/silencers on the buckles though, sometimes they clank.
    https://www.cabelas.com/product/hun...ystem-ultra-lite-harness/3305540.uts?slotId=2

HSS also has a $60 bow hunter harness that looks just as good as the ultralite.
    https://www.cabelas.com/product/hun...stem-x-bowhunter-harness/1619016.uts?slotId=0

Get a good climbing caribiner for quicker tethering to the treestrap. They want you to loop through the tree strap but sometimes it can be a pain getting everything tied in quickly in the dark.
    Or just get this: https://www.cabelas.com/product/hun...tem-rope-style-tree-strap/745316.uts?slotId=9

3. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good advice from a personal testimonial from S.McArthur. There are lots of good harnesses on the market. As a Hunter Education instructor, the best one is the one worn every time you are in the stand. I heard of a fellow who didn't wear his harness for the first and only time. He fell. He is now confined to a wheelchair with the use of only his left arm. Heard it stated- we wear seat belts in our cars, why not safety harnesses in tree stands?
    Edit- SMcA. mentions dark. One of my instructors gives five kids safety harnesses, tells them to put them on and we turn off the lights. You should see what they look like when the lights come on. Yes, they are kids but the illustration is to know how the harness goes on and doesn't hurt to practice in the dark, just like real hunting. Good and safe hunting!

Tiny_MN likes this.
  4. Tiny_MN

Tiny_MN Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good advice from John T. regarding the best is the one that's worn every time. That being said, "best" is highly subjective and will be full of opinions.

For myself, I have the Muddy Safeguard. Light, simple to put on and in colder weather, I have it under my outer wear and don't know it's on.

https://shop.gomuddy.com/the-safeguard/

5. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That's right. They don't work if they aren't worn. We would get a sackful of posts on this. Not much different than any other product on the market.
    Thanks for the link.
    Edit- My posterior was saved because of a seat belt. Short story- rolled a car three times and got one tiny piece of glass in the end of my finger. That's all!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  6. Logman

Logman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  7. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    While I currently use just a cheap, normal fall protection type harness, I really like the looks of the one that is a vest that you simply put on. Can't think of the name of it right now. I will be getting one of these.
    I have a lifeline type rope that is attached above my stand and then runs clear to the bottom of the ladder and is tied off there too. This way I can hook up to it with a 3' lanyard before I ever leave the ground and you just slide the Prusik knot up as you go, and back down as you go. A Prusik knot will tighten if you fall. It is tied high enough that I just stay hooked to it while in the stand and I don't have to switch to a tree tether. I like it because it is rare for a fall to occur while in the stand...it is getting in/out of it when most falls occur.

8. Theana9

Theana9 Guest

+1
    [​IMG]