Best rest

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by MrInvisible2019, Mar 6, 2019.

1. MrInvisible2019

MrInvisible2019 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Wanting to put a new rest on my new Mathews Z3. What would be a good rest for hunting? I currently have a Whisker Biscuit for it but I'm thinking about a drop away rest. I'm looking for one that fits this bow good.

Sent from my moto g(6) (XT1925DL) using Tapatalk

2. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    dnoodles likes this.
  3. MrInvisible2019

MrInvisible2019 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    That is the rest I was looking at. May get one tomorrow at Cabela's.

4. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Little hint... buy it at a local shop, you will pay 10%more but if you negotiate it they will help you with a basic tune and in some cases let you use their range and tune it completely.

early in, justinwmoe88 and dnoodles like this.
  5. MrInvisible2019

MrInvisible2019 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Im one of the lucky few that lives close to a Cabela's. They are 10 minutes up the road from my house.

6. wildernessninja

wildernessninja Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I always liked my ripcord. Only thing is if you have to replace the cord its a pain to get it back together.

7. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have shot many thousands of arrows through my QADs and the only time I ever had one fail was when it froze in sleet, which would've made any rest including a whisker biscuit all jacked up.

justinwmoe88 likes this.
  8. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I'm biased because HHA is a sponsor, but their Virtus rest is top notch and IMO every bit as good as a QAD. At under $100 it's a great deal and 22% of the proceeds go to help veterans combating mental illness. If nothing else it's certainly worth looking at before you make a decision.

I've set up and shot the QAD Hunter that was linked above and can tell you with 100% certainty the HHA is a better rest. Some of the higher end QAD rests are awesome, but they're also going to cost more. The Virtus at $90 is very comparable to the QAD HDX which is typically going to run $130.

9. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I recently went back to a Alpine Whisperflite. Lucked out and scored a new one on amazon for $24.95. I was shooting with a Axiom Pulse but encountered too many problems with it on my hunting bow. I considered a QAD but my bow tech convinced me on the Alpine after showing me his competition setup. I've had it on for about a month now and back to punching the X's. Easy to tune, simple design and works well on my PSE X-Force speed bow.

10. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You'll get a lot of answers. There are quite a few very good rests on the market these days. I personally love my Limbdriver Pro V rests. Biggest reason is simplicity of setup but the fact that limb driven rests, being that they guide an arrow longer and drop faster than spring dropped rests is a big selling point too.

Okiebob likes this.
  11. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would steer clear from letting them tune it to be honest... They will offer it for free but take it to a reputable shop. And my recommendation would be for a Trophy Taker smackdown micro or a Vapor Trail limb driver pro v. Limb driven rests are the way to go IMO, you aren't throwing the timing cord in your cable, no press required to work on it, can leave the launcher up when setting it up, and if the timing cord gets cut in the field, you can get it back up and running where as with a cable driven one you are SOL.

There was a story one of the guys I shoot with told me when him and another guy were at a 3d comp with Ears from Vapor trail.. Anyway the other guy was giving Ears crap up and down about shooting limb driven instead of cable driven like he was. So Ears cut his timing cord and replaced it with his shoelace and told the other guy to do the same thing. Obviously the other guy couldn't but he finished the round using his shoelace. Now whether this is true or not, I dont know, but it demonstrates the biggest advantage of limb vs. cable driven

12. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Through these forums, social media platforms and our general network of bowhunters I think it's safe to say we know or have contact with a lot of bowhunters out there. I personally have yet to hear a story of someone whose dropaway cable was cut in the field to the point where their rest wouldn't work. IMO that's one of those things that in theory "could" happen, but in reality, never does. And let's face it - replacing a cord on a dropaway rest isn't the hardest thing in the world to do and does not require a bow press. If you're that worried about it, carry an extra piece of string loop material and a set of allen keys in your pack. I'm confident I could replace the cord on my dropaway in the field if I absolutely had to.

I'm not knocking limb-driven rests as they do have their benefits, but let's not overstate the fear of your cable being severely damaged during a hunt.

dnoodles likes this.
  13. SouthDakotaHunter

SouthDakotaHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good bowtechs are where you find them... Luckily I can do all my own work but I know of a really good bowtech that worked at Cabelas and I've seen work by a 'local pro shops' that is beyond shotty. The big thing is that you know a little bit about the guy that's working on your bow and trust them.

I also prefer the limbdriven rests like davidingle - I have a smackdown pro on my current hunting rig but I've run a limbdriver too and liked it a lot. In fact I'm leaning towards the Vapor Trail Gen7 for this hunting season... I've only installed a couple of the Virtus rests but they seemed well built. The QAD HDX is a good rest too - I've installed tons without problems. RipdCords aren't my first choice - I've owned a couple, seemed to eventually start to have some type of issue with them and as mentioned - replacing the cord could be easier...

14. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How are you going to get your timing cord in your cable without a press? Unless you're using that clamp thing that comes with QAD's.

Working 3 years as a bow tech in a shop, I had 2 people that came in that their timing cord was cut and a handful of others that it had popped out of their cable at full draw. Granted these people that had it pop out usually didn't have it set up right. So yes, very uncommon but it could happen.

15. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I tie mine on with the same knot you use for your string loop, directly under the serving. Works like a charm.

I would love to know how someone cut their cord to the point the rest wouldn't work on accident. That cord is pretty tough and even an accidental brushing against it with a broadhead shouldn't sever it completely. Or so you would think.

davidingle likes this.
  16. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For cable driven rest you will be hard pressed to get better then an HDX.

Fix likes this.
  17. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'll throw my vote in for the Limbdriver. I personally like the easy set up and no worries about timing. The minimal moving parts and simplicity of the design is also a plus.

The only thing simpler would be the Whisker Biscuit which I am also a fan of.

Sent from my BBB100-3 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

18. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have used the QAD HSX rest for a few years now. I am trying he HHA Virtus this year. I have heard great things about them.

19. edward.penny

edward.penny Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm shooting a Whisker Biscuit on mine and it has done me well.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    early in likes this.
  20. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree. For hunting purposes, I like the simplicity and full containment of the WB. No moving parts=no problems. Been using one for 17 years without ANY issues.

I'm curious why the OP wants to switch?