Best Implement for New Plot in Clearcut - Uneven Ground

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by John The Hunter, Dec 27, 2016.

1. John The Hunter

John The Hunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas.

About 14 acres of my 40 acre woods in northern WI was clearcut last winter. Presents some opportunities, I think.

I'm looking for suggestions on the best implement to use behind my Polaris Sportsman 570 to break up virgin ground in fairly uneven terrain. I'll have to do a lot of "cleaning up" by hand - logging is messy.

Chisel plow? Disc? Kolpin's 3-point system? Groundhog Max? I don't see many Youtube videos of implements working in less than ideal conditions.

Suggestions, please. And let's play nice - all opinions are just that. :lol:

Thanks in advance!

2. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you can afford it, the best investment that you could make now for the long run, would be to have someone come in with an excavator and stump the area so that you can actually work the plot fro year to come. Without the stumps removed, before you know it brush will grow up and you'll have a difficult time working it. While they are stumping it, you could have them spend a couple hours "roughing it in" so that any of the above mentioned tools would be able to help you start and maintain your food plot.

3. Gator Dale

Gator Dale Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Best food plots we got to grow rented a three point Rototiller best money spent and half time messing with little disk and block weights. Just a thought nice seed bed after we were done

4. pastorandrew

pastorandrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    if your not removing stumps cut them off flush with ground level, let everything green up good in spring, spray with glysophate mid to late May. Then again first week of July. the gly will kill off everything. then I spread lime and fertilizer and use a pull behind flip over disk. works excellent, the disk will pull over the top of stumps.

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I would not go in and make all 14 acres a food plot. I would do 2-3 with prevailing wind a consideration. Let brush regenerate around the plots, it is nice to have some thick stuff around the plots.

6. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would agree with elkguide. Hire someone for a day to run a dozer and stump it out. Most operators then can back grade with the dozer and should be able to get a smooth grade good enough for you to start plotting right away. The money would be well worth the time to get it done in a day in my opinion.