Best Fall/winter Plot Mix

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Matthew Bolt, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Matthew Bolt

Matthew Bolt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Currently have corn and cowpeas growing in a couple of plots for warm season food source. Trying to decide on the best mix to add to these plots when the weather gets cooler. I was thinking a rye/oats/clover mix, but didnt know whether I should try a brassica or chicory/alfalfa mix. I've never experimented with chicory/alfalfa, will it grow if planted in the fall (located in SC)? Is this a more appealing option nutrition-wise than rye/oat/clover mix?

2. dmax4me

dmax4me Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use a mix of Tall Tine Tubers and Wintergreens for my fall planting. Plots usually look like a cow pasture by February.

Matthew Bolt likes this.
  3. atlasman

atlasman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We have always relied on a heavy mix of brassicas. Turnips, radish, rape, the bigger the leaves the better. Once the frost hits and they get sweet the deer are in there all day. After the rut late season the bucks come in to eat whatever is left and paw the bulbs right up out of the ground. We mix in some chickory and clover for undergrowth and weed suppression with the added benefit of attraction during archery before it gets super cold.