Best day turkey hunting

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by ATbuckhunter, May 30, 2014.

1. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Before I start I should probably warn you guys that I have only turkey hunted a a handful of times, so feel free to correct any mistakes.

I got into the woods around 6:00 and left my decoys home so I wasn't really happy to begin the day out. I spooked 3 deer in the field but I thought it was cool to see a doe and her two fawns. About 10 min later I see a hen at 20 yards yelping her head off for 10 min which I thought would bring a gobbler in but that was a no go. 2 min later I see a fox on his way down to where the hen was but left when he smelled me and my father. Around 9:30 some guy starts popping off .22 rounds about 100 yards away but that happened to make a couple gobblers start gobbling. I tried calling from my position but they didn't hear a thing so I decided to move closer. I set up in a good spot so I hunkered down and started calling. They were hammering after every call so I played hard to get which drove them even more mad. They covered a good 80 yards in the woods in a matter of 1-2 min. They came to about 40 yards and started strutting and clucking but they were hung up. I didn't want to shoot at 40 because I was using steel shot and 40 yards was my grey zone. They started getting nervous around 35 yards and started to walk away. I fired 2 shots at around 40 yards but I didn't get one. If the would have gave me a good shot at 35 yards I would have a nice long beard to show you guys. This is only the second time i have been able to call in a turkey and it was a good one. Remember I barely turkey hunt so i'm still new at this and for those who might ask, I never use lead in anything hunting. Lessons learned- Don't forget decoys and buy some hevi-shot or bismuth instead of steel. Even though this is my first day out this season and might be the only day I can get out due to college and finals, I can only smile on what a wonderful day it was. I think i might be hooked on this spring turkey hunting. Sorry for the grammar mistakes...I was amped up when I wrote this

2. Lung Buster

Lung Buster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sometimes it's more about the experience than the harvest!! Congrats on a good day!