Best Cold Weather Camo

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by kurveball18, Dec 21, 2021.

1. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Looking at new cold camo outer wear fur next bow season. If you could pick anything and cost doesn't matter, what would you pick. Below options are ones but I have no experience with them. I have used an older version of the Cabelas MT050.

Sitka Fanatic- unsure if I like the lighter camo.

Firstlite?
    Scentlok?

I'm open to other options, but would like the best of the best. I hate getting cold lol.

2. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Here's another alternative to consider. Heated clothing has come a really long way in the past few years. You get yourself a heated vest to wear under your camo and you can get by with alot less clothing. Just something to think about.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Westfinger and picman like this.
  3. bhod87

bhod87 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I would point you toward the First Lite Sanctuary kit. https://www.firstlite.com/products/sanctuary-2-0-insulated-jacket

I personally believe that the Specter pattern is the most universal out there. I would have no qualms about wearing it in September all the way to January. I can't say that about most others. Most are heavy green for early season or heavy gray/light brown for late season.

Just my two cents.

kurveball18 likes this.
  4. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    beside layering under my outer wear I really like my Predator Fall Gray Ambush series Bibs and Coat, one of the best patterns for breaking up your outline ... .... I also have the G2 coat and low nap fleece pants for temps 50-30ish and low winds ... the Ambush is windproof/quiet and it gets used when it is windy and esp. below 30ish .... then again, it is all in the layering .... I dont get cold, even in temps below 20 ....

kurveball18 likes this.
  5. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Heated vest or jacket is a must! I can't believe what a difference it makes without adding weight and bulk! This is the second season for me with a heated vest and I should have bought it years ago!

kurveball18 likes this.
  6. kurveball18

Dislikes Received:

I'll definitely check it out. I got good layers. Really like my Minus33 merino

7. kurveball18

Dislikes Received:
    What heated vest would you recommend? Is there a leader of the pack for the heated stuff?

8. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Go on Amazon and check them out, there are literally 100s of choices. Get one where you provide the battery. That way you have more options how it's used.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

9. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I went larger on the bibs and coats (XL on the Bibs and XXL on the coats), I have long arms (6' 2") and now around 190lbs, Id rather have my outer wear a tad large so I can move and draw without restriction ...

download (6).jpg

picman likes this.
  10. Tink-a-Link

Tink-a-Link Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm also on the heated vest train!
    My cold setup is this:
    Scentlok BE1 Fortress bib,

Scentlok trek baselayer and an old UA baselayer,

A heated vest,

A 3 year old Scentlok mid weight jacket (prior to the BE1 series),

A Scentlok head/face cover that I've also been wearing a stocking cap under as well,

I just picked up a pair of Alphaburly 1600 boots (total game changer compared to my early season boots) after my feet ended up as ice cubes two weekends ago and put heater packs inside the boots (I'll invest in a new pair of heated socks next year as only one of my old pair is working now),

A Sitka Incinerator hand muff, also with at least 2 heater packs.

I was out on Sunday and this morning in single digits and very comfortable.

I'm a believer in the Scentlok brand so take that for what it's worth. I'm certain that any of the top tier camo companies make quality cold weather gear. Clearly keeping your feet, head and hands warm is the biggest part to staying comfortable, but don't forget about your arms. If you can't draw due to being stiff, it's all useless anyway.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

11. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Start with Merino Wool baselayers. I am also a fan of Badlands gear and clothing. They are high quality like Sitka and First Lite but do not market as heavily. All of their stuff comes with an unconditional lifetime warranty. I have their Rise Pants for an outer layer in cooler weather.

12. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Arris is a one size fits all. It has panels that you can add or remove. I'm a short guy, so the vest is a little long. It's fleece and has 8 heating zones that are divided between 3 controllers.

For me the cat's ass was the heated collar. Not once did I wear a neck gaiter this year. and like a couple guys said, wish I had done it sooner.

There are so many out there. You just have to figure out vest or jacket

Tink-a-Link and pastorjim08 like this.
  13. Tink-a-Link

Tink-a-Link Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Same one I've got. It's spectacular.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

14. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    And the Arris has 5 heat settings.

15. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The one you already have batteries for and has a soft quiet shell. I already had a pile of Milwaukee tools so I bought their heated jacket.

I have heard good things about Ororo. Can't say I have seen one in person or how quiet the material is.

16. Sean Card

Sean Card Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Merino base layers as other people have said. Meriwool on Amazon is probably the best bang for your buck.

I don’t care what it is, but its got to be wind proof on the outside. I haven’t found what I’m looking for yet so I don’t have suggestions. I’ve heard of wearing non-breathable rain gear over your coat and pants/bibs to stop the wind.

Have yet to find anything truly what I want. Looked hard a Kuiu but all of this modern breathable rain gear is not what I’m after because I want the best wind proofing. If it’s camo, its breathable. If it’s not breathable, I can’t get it in camo, I’m unsure of how it will fit for bowhunting, or I’m unsure if I can modify the material to make it camo.

In summary good layer system. You can find cheap but good merino. Good mid and outer layers. Struggle is finding an affordable outer layer or something wind proof to go over a good coat acting as a mid layer.

if i had unlimited funds I probably would look at sitka or kuiu

my 2 cents

kurveball18 likes this.
  17. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Get any kind of warm/windproof clothe5s you can afford and then put on a set of bug proof netting.
    No, I'm not kidding!
    It'll blend into more trees/terrain then the vast majority of $$camo.

18. ILbowhntr

ILbowhntr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sold my Sitka Fanatic set, too bulky for my liking.
    Bought a set of Rivers Edge Ambush bibs. Almost the perfect bibs for me.
    After season, I may add a small pouch on the leg for my wind checker and a couple zippers in the leg pockets and then they’ll be perfect.