Best Arrow and Broadhead for my Bow

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Kennethp7, May 24, 2010.

1. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Regardless of the outcome of this debate, Bruce is right. It's always been about penetration potential.:)

2. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe you should brush up on your comprehension, Raceway. He told you (and reiterated) exactly what he meant (which I thought was fairly obvious).

Let me ask you this.....

Do you think I'd achieve better results, if I switched to an 8gpp arrow and picked up (___)fps? If not, why would it be any different for someone shooting a compound?

Do you think traditional tackle hunters shoot heavy arrows because they're obstinate? Ill-informed?

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  3. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My Katera, I have a 28# draw:(

4. racewayking

Dislikes Received:
    I could care less what you achieve, my posting has been in relation to the OP. If you shot a lower weight arrow and picked up FPS without an increase in KE then I am not sure you would benefit. You want to shoot slow moving arrows that weigh more, he wants to shoot lighter arrows faster without sacrificing an ethical shot. You will both kill deer and I won't talk either of you out of what your heart is set on.

5. bigcountry

bigcountry Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    and I would bet a big bag of nickels my 58lb zipper recurve with 660gr arrow would have penetrated thru both of em.

So you really believe your two examples change all of physics? You really believe both shots were the exact one hitting the exact place, with the exact situation?

One thing for sure, if your going to hit all those spine shots with deer "jumping the string", you might need all the help you can get.

6. bigcountry

Dislikes Received:
    Actually, not always, if a bow is 100% efficient, he will not gain anything. But a bow gets slightly more efficient with a heavier arrow and very slight increase in KE. He will however almost always gain momentum.

7. racewayking

Dislikes Received:
    Didn't I cover the part about the spine shot and the lesson learned? As stated both hit the middle of the spine;)

I will gladly put my 403gr. arrow at 20 yards against your Zipper and 650gr. arrow at 20 yards. Feel free to fly out to the GTG at the end of June, I will even pick you up at the airport;)

8. brucelanthier

brucelanthier Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    True, but I am betting the bow in question isn't quite a 100% efficient LOL ;) . I was more trying to point out that there is no loss of KE, not there is any great increase. Anyways, we are in agreement here, that's for sure.

9. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed. The OP isn't going to see much change in KE no matter what direction he goes. Hell, he can shoot a 420gr. arrow at approx 238fps and make 52.8ft/lbs.

So like Jeff said earlier, if it is a known distance why not shoot a heavier, quieter arrow making the same KE? It will certainly have more momemtum after impact. I see no obvious drawbacks, no bow in the world can out shoot a deer's reflex's (i.e. jumping the string) so whats the point in going for speed?

10. racewayking

Dislikes Received:
    Why not shoot what he wants since it has more than enough KE to get it done. Tiffany Lakosky has a trophy wall that would blow most of ours away yet those mature deer were taken without shooting a 500-600gr. arrow;)

11. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    #1--a trophy is determined by the archer--eye of the beholder--hunting in an environment where one sees 15, 150 inch bucks in a season and then killing a 150 inch buck does not equal much of a "trophy" to me...it is merely a friggin number. If she hunted in an environment where she saw 15, 85 inch bucks then killed an 85 inch buck noone would be talking about her "trophy" wall.

#2=Tiffany has hunting lands that would blow most of ours away as well

That being said, shoot what you like and KILL! My arrows will be weighing around 100 grains more this year and I will be shooting 100-120 fps less this year.....arrows are shooting well, I hope they KILLLLLLLLLL!

12. bigcountry

Dislikes Received:
    You don't really make much sense. You make statements that have no comment to back them. In other words, no one said either can't kill a simple deer. Its just sad that most young shooters will never find the merits of a heavier setup. They are too wrapped up with getting advertised too. Marketers dream.

Lee and tiffany???? Are you kidding me. Aren't they like TV personalities?

13. racewayking

Dislikes Received:
    I don't make much sense??? There is no need for a slower setup when a faster setup and lighter arrow will kill deer and allow for a flatter trajectory. Guess you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Last time I checked Lee and Tiffany were tv personalities, is there a point to that statement that has sifnificant merit?

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  14. racewayking

Dislikes Received:
    I
    I don't care if Tiffany is in a petting zoo hunting. You miss the point here, she is still putting a low KE weighted arrow through mature deer. She kills monster deer when you look at the overall age and weight of the deer;)

I should have known that would go right over everyone's head, or maybe I did;)

15. racewayking

Dislikes Received:
    From the Crush website (thecrush.tv, 2010):woot:

Bow: Mathews DXT

24" draw, 55 lbs.
    Who says you need a ton of weight and a long draw to smoke a big ol' elk?

Arrow:

Easton Flatline 500

Crushes em everytime! Well almost everytime... Yes I miss every once in a while, you know like if the wind is blowing really hard or if a twig falls in front of my arrow.

Broadhead:

G-5 Tekan

Looks like Tiff can smoke an elk with a 24" draw and 55# shooting an easton flatline 500:bash:

Maybe someone should tell her that a heavy arrow is better, I don't think she gets it yet:ninja:

THIS POST WAS EDITED SO GMMAT COULD COMPREHEND. THE LAST TWO LINES WERE MOVED TO REDUCE CONFUSION ON THE SOURCE CITED.

16. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I guess...when the converstaion dies down.....you just make stuff up that you disagree with .....so you can argue with yourself?

Who DID say that?

17. racewayking

Dislikes Received:
    You have all been saying that the OP should shoot a heavier setup. For god's sake, I have been arguing lighter and faster arrows with proper KE to kill and you guys have been talking about 500-600 gr. arrows.

Drink some coffee and get back in the game Tonto!

18. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Here's a little etiquette lesson....

If you want to attribute someone saying something.....QUOTE IT/THEM. If you can't....they didn't say it. Part of your problem is you're so hell-bent on arguing - you're now making things up, just so you can continue.

19. racewayking

Dislikes Received:
    What have I made up? I must have given your abilities to comprehend to much merit. I went back and gave it a little APA love so you are satisfied.

I copied the info straight from the crush website. If you look I cited my source and pasted the info regarding the Crush website. Get of your high horse, you are the one leading the league in posts if you count the ones that were deleted when the local boys started looking for ya;)

20. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I never remember you being such a prick???? You OK? I hope things get better for ya. I'll leave you to yourself. You seem to be having a ball arguing with you.