Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Beginner shed hunter

Discussion in 'Shed Hunting' started by hogtiming, Mar 6, 2010.

1. hogtiming

hogtiming Newb

Dislikes Received:
    New to it. Can someone give me some tips?

2. dawg007

dawg007 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    First thing you want is a very nice comfy pair of waterproof boots! Next you better plan on doing some walking for hours on end. Check creek, fence, river, or any other crossings, bedding areas, staging areas, and feeding areas. That is where I find mine. My main spots to find them are bedding areas.

3. wiaxle

wiaxle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    All about playing the percentages, check the areas that you think the deer are spending alot of time in, but dont forget to check the trails also.

Be prepared to do alot of walking :D

4. rockinchair

rockinchair Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not very good at the sport as I just don't find very many. I just end up walking around aimlessly in the woods.. sometimes in circles:rolleyes:

But seriously, the best advice I could give is like everyone said.. walk.. and walk, and walk; and walk: and walk- etc, etc.

Like I said I haven't found many in my adventures, but they also double as scouting trips, and what I learn about the property and how the deer use it is the biggest thing i take from my shed hunting trips. There is a plethora of knowledge out there that can be learned while doing a little walking this time of year.

5. Ghille1cav

Ghille1cav Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    WALK LIKE YOU HAVE NEVER WALKED BEFORE! Right when your ready to give up...Walk some more! I do it for a hobby not always for scouting reasons. I have found my largest sheds with in the city limits. Carry a pair of binoculars they will save you time when in doubt. Look for south facing slopes and watch as your driving down the road...I have found three in the road already. In other words look every where and DON'T give up. Any time in the woods is time well spent! I have a shed dog who has found 6. My yellow lab Ghille and I are the best team a guy could ask for. He never gives up or complains about the weather. A really good time to look is after the snow is gone and after a rain. The things really seem to stick out then. Don't look to far ahead either...Keep your eyes close. Hope I've helped.

6. dawg007

dawg007 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I also grid search at times. Take a section of the woods and start at one edge and walk to the other and keep moving foward but go back and forth to cover the whole area. It is time consuming but it is how I find most of mine!

7. Ghille1cav

Ghille1cav Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Grid searching is BORING, but it is a GREAT idea! I use it once in awhile, but should really use it more often...

8. dawg007

dawg007 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Boring yes but effective! I just enjoy the woods reguardless of anything. Getting sheds is a great bonus. I even came home one time with 10 in one day! I wish I could have one of those days again!

9. rockinchair

rockinchair Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Also one more piece of advice.. have fun!

When my brother and I go we spend so much time goofing around and just enjoying ourselves that we often get lost in what we're doing:D

Could also be why we never find any:rolleyes:

10. Wired To Hunt

Wired To Hunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  11. quiksilver

quiksilver Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If I were you, I'd quit shed hunting and go back to playing with Barbies.