Beginner questions and string length on older compound bow

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Anodyne_Interests, Dec 17, 2020.

1. Anodyne_Interests

Anodyne_Interests Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Good morning.

I have been rifle/muzzleloader for whitetail for a few years and I am wanting to start bow hunting next season. I have an inherited bow from the early 90s, a Jennings Carbon Extreme XLR with 80# draw weight.

With that in mind, I have a few questions:
    1. I don't want to spend a ton of money starting out, but has the technology improved enough where it would be a significant improvement to buy a newer used bow or an entry level new bow? The bow I have seems pretty heavy and I think the let-off is either 55% or 65%. The draw length seems to be correct for me.
    2. The bow I have (the Carbon Extreme) needs a new string. The bow says it uses a "AMO Compound Bow String Length" of 60.5". I can find a lot of info on AMO string length to actual string length for recurve bows, but not for compound bows. Can anyone help me identify what size length I would need?

2. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Firstly, welcome to the forum and the passion. That was a great bow but yes I believe the tech has advanced significantly. As you need to replace the string (lots of places with custom create you a string) for 100+ dollars you might want to look into our at least try a few low end bows. If you do decide to stay with that bow as it was a great bow just look for a shop and have it inspected and tuned. That's critical as with 40yr old equipment safety is always in question. You can get a inspection for anywhere from free to 75 shop depending. Stay with us and bring us on your journey. It's awesome starting from ground zero and lots of us would like to assist. Good luck