beginner looking to buy a new compound bow???

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Brandon Roberts, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Brandon Roberts

Brandon Roberts Newb

Dislikes Received:
    hey guys im looking to get into bow hunting for the first time as ive always hunted by a rifle for the last few years in my hunting career...I came across a Bear Super Magnum 44" on craigslist for $75 and I am just wondering if this would be a good buy...ill post a picture of it and then hang up and listen
    thanks guys

Attached Files:

2. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not worth it IMO... That's too much for such a old bow, honestly it's worth like $20-30. Just my opinion. If you can spend it, a little more and can go a long way with a bow.

I know your new to archery, but you need a bow you will enjoy shooting, your not going to enjoy shooting that bow.

3. Vendetta

Vendetta Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Any bow that's properly tuned and set up will kill a deer. Let me ask you a couple questions that will inevitably come up:

Is $75 your budget? What is a realistic budget that you're willing to spend (for the entire package, not just the bow)
    - There are a lot of inexpensive starter bows out there, and most every one of them will work better than this

Do you see this as a potential passion, or do you pick up a lot of things that you put down?
    - If you think you'll do this and love it, it might be better spending a bit more...

Do you know your draw length, or how about what weight you're comfortable pulling?
    - DL can be measured easily at home, but I'd suggest hitting the bow shop/place that sells bows for at least those two things.

Have you shot a bow?
    - Do you have friends that bow hunt? It might be good to shoot their bow if they'll let you, see if you like it.

Bows choose their owner, in a sense, as you'll shoot bows and find the one that feels the best for you. It would behoove you to go to a bow shop and shoot a few bows first. Take that experience and run with it. Caution should be used when buying used bows, as if they're dry fired, it can lead to failure and serious injury (loss of money at a minimum). Generally speaking, you also won't know how old the string is. You'll have to budget that in to be on the safe side. If you end up buying a cheap bow expect to spend another $100-$150 (minimum) outfitting it, so consider that cost as well.

Either way, welcome to the site, and welcome to our passion that is bow hunting.

4. OctaneRudi

OctaneRudi Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    huntersfriend.com

5. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Those were pretty reliable bows and I see people hunting with old ones like that from time to time. Draw back is you'll still have to spend money to get it up and running and it may be hard to get parts if you ever need them. I am thinking you can probably do a little better if you look around for a situation where someone has upgraded a newer bow and doesn't want to keep it as a back up.

6. G-Street

G-Street Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I bought an old Browning for 35 that had better equipment and is (arguably) just as good of a bow. I don't hunt with this bow but I'm certain I could if I so desired. Keep looking, you'll find something similar except it will have arrows, a case, and a release for the same price. I promise you that much.

7. hnoor0077

hnoor0077 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I don't hunt with this bow but I'm certain I could if I so desired. Keep looking, you'll find something similar except it will have arrows, a case, and a release for the same price....

8. victoryhunter

victoryhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    x2 those old bows are great if they have been taken care of. If not I highly recommend buying an entry level bow package from Huntersfriend.com, you can get a new bow and everything you need starting about $400. Basically you have to have to sight them in and they are ready to go hunt. Comes with bow, sight, quiver, rest, arrows, broad heads, bow case, etc.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  9. tkaldahl2000

tkaldahl2000 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    One thing about those old bows is that most of them came in a 30 or 31 inch draw length. I was amazed when I went from shooting my Bear White Tail II at 30 to shooting a Martin at 29 because of how much more consistent I was having the correct draw length.

10. Talon_Ab77

Talon_Ab77 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would not recommend buying that bow. I don't think you will enjoy that bow and I would not trust it. Buying a really cheap bow is not a good idea as you will most likely end up having to buy a more expensive one anyway. Save yourself the trouble and buy a more modern and reliable bow. Do a lot of research and go and shoot some bows to see what suits you and learn as much as you can through reading and hearing from people with experience before you buy a bow.

11. BuffaloBill

BuffaloBill Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Guys this thread is almost four years old. I'm sure he's a seasoned bow hunter by now.

12. Pastor Scotty

Pastor Scotty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Pawn Shop with a good friend who knows bow are great place for 3-6 year old. They would put that old dog to shame.
    PSR

13. MAD 6

MAD 6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hope after 4 years he found the answer he was looking for, if not I have a 1976 compound bow I found at the local high school I can give him.