Beginner hunter

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by baumboy32, Dec 6, 2013.

1. baumboy32

baumboy32 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    i will be hunting in south west ohio. but i am a new bow hunter. I do not own a treestand or groudblind. i will be hunting from the ground in late december. any advice for aanew person?

2. Granny's Slaughter House

Granny's Slaughter House Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wind in your face. Use brush as cover.

Have you practiced and become efficient with your bow? If not, stay home til next year. May sound harsh but so is putting a bad shot on a deer if you don't know your limits and haven't practiced.

3. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Great advice from Granny. She`s right, nothing could be more careless on our parts as ethical bowhunters for putting agreat shot on a deer. If you do not feel as if you can take a deer with a great shot, stay home and practice practice practice. The deer and the woods arenr going anywhere. Good luck and welcome to the sight. GROMMEL.

4. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If in doubt pass on a deer, my first year was last year, about a 30yard shot and I had 1 day of practice. I passed on her and went and practice for a few weeks. First deer was a 20 yard shot I felt comfortable with.
    Remember this when your first deer comes in, the excitement is extremely high, it will be even more heartbreaking making a bad shot and losing it. It's all on you in the stand to make that call.
    Good luck and have a blast. I've shot at people and get more of a rush 20 yards from a deer.
    (*disclaimer: all people were in different countries and "legal" to shoot as per the Army. I'm not crazy.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk