Beastmode Bowhunters - Team 23

Discussion in '2014 Deer Contest' started by fishsoft92, Aug 18, 2014.

1. HoytHunter831

HoytHunter831 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like you're doing it right!

Stick a biggun

2. IAwhitetails

IAwhitetails Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Hoyt! Sycamore- Indiana? The land of the monster whitetail;)You got it man! Good luck :)

3. fishsoft92

fishsoft92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I know I'm not updating as much as I should, but life has been crazier than anticipated for the past month and a half. This coming Sunday will be the first chance I've had to go out for almost two weeks. Been seeing deer every hunt, only nothing has given me a shot that I can ethically take. Doesn't do much for the contest, but I see a clean kill as more important that points on the board. Got a new camera and stand hung, and I should have something this weekend. I will keep y'all posted.

4. sycamoretwitch

sycamoretwitch Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well I don't think anyone on this team atleast would support an unethical shot so we can get points...

Thanks for the update though, good luck to ya! Every point helps.

In other news! I saw another spike buck just now, at this point Im being scrwed with.

5. KY72

KY72 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Hoythunter. Nice buck! I've been either working or in a deer stand for the past 10 days. Had a great weekend at LBL in western KY. I arrived with the camper Friday in 25 mph winds and spent the afternoon scouting ridge line saddles. Unfortunately all the fresh leaves on the ground had covered up all game sign. This years mast crop is tremendous. Acorns are everywhere as are persimmons. Deer don't have to travel much and I didn't see a deer while scouting. Saturday morning came with a 15 mph north wind and I opted to still hunt down a long ridge line and look for more deer sign. I found it. Overnight around 15 scrapes had reopened in about 1/2 mile of ridge. There was sign under several white oaks and I was feeling a lot better about my chances. About 9:30 came upon 3 deer and 3 hens feeding down the ridge. The turkeys came directly towards me and we're going to pop up over the ridge at 10 yards. I was at 1/2 draw and expecting the lead bird to pop up right in front when a putt came from somewhere to my left and all 3 flew directly up into the treetops to look me over. The deer got uneasy and eventually eased off in the other direction. Saturday afternoon was spent at the end of a fresh scrape line near a pond. I had deer under me at last light bit it wAs too dark to see what they were. The area I was hunting was primarily chestnut oak with a few white oaks scattered around. Here is a pic from the stand [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. HoytHunter831

Dislikes Received:
    Yes don't take any risky shot just to try to get points.

Not 150" spikes on both sides sycamore?

7. KY72

KY72 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sunday morning was cold with a heavy frost and light northeast wind. I climbed a big post oak overlooking a heavily used logging trail that intersected the aforementioned scrape line. Two long ridges and a little finger ridge connect at this spot and it felt perfect for a close encounter with anything running the ridges in the area. The pond was below me to my back about 200 yards and the ground fell away into a creek to one side. This all helped funnel deer to the spot directly in front of me. The only downside to the set was the fact that I felt really exposed hanging out over this roadbed. However it was the only viable option with the wind. I got as high up as possible and put on my face mask and gloves. The morning was gorgeous but uneventful until about 10:30. I heard something to my left and picked up movement coming down the logging road. Four mature does we're picking their way toward me and seemed completely relaxed. I carefully eased my longbow off the hanger and got turned for a shot. The lead doe was going to come directly under me and I figured I better shoot her before the others got too close. When she got about 15 yards from me she looked up and stared for a long few seconds. I didn't blink and she flicked her tail and eased forward a couple of yards. She then looked up at me again and I really thought she was going to spook. She decided she didn't like me and started to skirt around a little sapling for a better look. When her head was screened by leaves I hit full draw. As soon as her shoulder cleared the brush the string slipped my fingers. I didn't see the impact but could clearly see a dark spot on her side as she trotted down the hill. At about 50 yards she got a little wobbly and then did a front flip. The other 3 does hung around her for about 20 minutes and then eased on down the ridge. The shot was about 8 yards with a 50 yard recovery. I shot her with a belcher longhorn 53lbs @ 28" and a 580 grain arrow tipped with a grizzly single bevel 2 blade. Found the arrow about 20 feet behind where she was standing just lying on top of the leaves. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  8. HoytHunter831

Dislikes Received:
    Nice doe!!! I know its not easy with a longbow. Remember to get her entered in the contest.

9. Born2Hunt

Born2Hunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sweet congrats we keep rolling...like hoyt said make sure you get it entered in the scorecard. ..congrats again and let's continue this hot streak boys!!

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

10. sycamoretwitch

Dislikes Received:
    2 photos KY, with the bow - even if its a selfie. Lol Congrats man!!

Nope, no 150" spikes yet today. If such thing exists I will see it - my last 5 or 6 hunts have had atleast one 1.5 year old deer - never seen anything like it.

Thats all I've seen this morning - we had dense fog this mornin.

[​IMG]

11. IAwhitetails

IAwhitetails Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice doe! Awesome job!

12. HoytHunter831

Dislikes Received:
    We had fog last week and the morning hunts were slow. It should let up after a few days.

13. sycamoretwitch

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah moon phase isn't the best either... going to head to a different property unless the cameras suggest otherwise. I feel like the cameras hurt more than they help this time of year, enough information to be dangerous with - it's not like we are seeing a set pattern of any kind. Just about picking the right stand at the right time.

Im going to hunt another 45 mins or so. I got agressive with the horns this morning and nothing came.

14. KY72

KY72 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've already entered a doe in the contest.

15. sycamoretwitch

Dislikes Received:
    I was thinking you had - well shoot a buck then would ya!! Haha

16. KY72

KY72 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm trying

17. sycamoretwitch

Dislikes Received:
    Ya I hear that. Im right here with ya man! Good luck the rest of the week KY!!

20 yards from my stand.

[​IMG]

18. KY72

KY72 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thats a good sign. That corn in the field can't be helping on your deer visibility. I wonder with corn prices and the bumper harvest if some of the corn will just rot in the fields. Several farmers around here are leaving it standing until they get thier beans in

19. sycamoretwitch

Dislikes Received:
    Depends on how much bin space they have. They might get it out but the price is pretty low right now - we've had a record crop here farmer buddy of mine on sandy soil says he's getting bushel numbers that he did't think were possible.

That field in front of this picture is probably only 6 acres big so it's probably not having much of an impact either way. But we still have a lot of corn in around here, beans pretty much all out.

20. sycamoretwitch

Dislikes Received:
    Just had shooter at 50 yards walking down middle of trail wouldn't respond to my grunts. I'd guess 140" or so I have seen so many damn bucks this year and haven't had crap for a shot...