Bear Spray or Gun? Both or None?

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by scarps23, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Do what you gotta do JGD. I'm just saying these pistols aren't what everybody thinks they are when a charging bear Is nipping at your *** and your trying to aim a lousy shooting pistol at a bear going 30 mph at you.

2. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So tell me how you plan to carry a shotgun or long gun of any kind when bowhunting...

3. Schultzy

Dislikes Received:
    I don't carry anything when I'm hunting other then my recurve but If I would It would be bear spray and not a gun.

4. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    http://www.fws.gov/mountain-prairie/species/mammals/grizzly/bear spray.pdf

Interesting read on the question I asked. A gun would make me feel more comfortable, but spray might be the best way to go. Avoidance techniques sound good for camp. As for hunting and sneaking around quietly is when I see something possibly happening. That or the carcass and carrying meat out.

I have a question for people that have backpacked in grizzly country or bear country. Looks like we might have both black and grizzly. I've read that you shouldn't sleep in the same clothes that you cooked in. I'm not planning on bringing too many changes of clothes. Am I over analyzing this or do I need to have separate cooking clothes and keep them away from tent with the food somewhere else?

5. Schultzy

Dislikes Received:
    While hunting northern Minnesota we camp right In the middle of the woods In tents. Our food for the most part Is put In coolers. Our biggest Issue has been rodents and such. A coon here and there as well as a skunk. In mountain country where there's a grizz or two I'd be more apt to hang my stuff by a rope so no bear can get at them. As far as the close changing thing, I wouldn't much worry about It but that's your call. Probably not a bad Idea to change out of your cooking clothes I guess.

6. huntography

huntography Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good question: which would you use first?

I'd probably spray first and then unload 10mm hard cast as needed.

This is a good reminder for me to actually practice this scenario. How many of us have actually have done a mock self defense bear attack scenario where you had to quickly spray and shoot ? I'm guessing not many.

Rudy