Bear in Adirondacks

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by dtimm77, May 21, 2014.

1. dtimm77

dtimm77 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ive been thinking about going to the adk to hunt bear this fall. i know there's a lot of state land up there. anything i should look for when scouting? or any one know what part is best. i know most bear shot in ny are from deer hunter who happen across a bear. Im going to be camping in the woods a couple nights. would it be good to bring my tree stand? i know you can only use like 3 oz of bear attracted.

2. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Unless your more interested in the camping then the bear hunting I would chose the Catskills verse the Adks.
    More bears per square mile but more importantly easier to locate pockets of heavy use. Plenty of forest preserve also in the Catskills and access is easy.
    Look into 3k, 4w and 3a as well as 4r all have excellent populations and plenty of access.

3. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  4. dtimm77

dtimm77 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i was going to orthen zone cause it starts on sept 14. about two week before southern bow.

5. mikerock85

mikerock85 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Look for food... apples beech nuts berrys and look around for for the **** or fresh tracks... bear usually are on a 4 day cycle not like a 24 hour cycle as deer are so if they were there they are bound to come back.... bears travel up to 15 miles sometimes so.... if you hunt there food source u should be good... also look in trees for claw marks as they will climb...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

6. Joe p

Joe p Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I will give you too starting points first diamond notch back side of hunter mt rt214 next Indian lake a lot of bears near town i would go to end of johns pond rd good luck