bear bait

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by massmam, Sep 5, 2012.

1. massmam

massmam Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I put some dog food covered with mollasas out and then it poured all night now the dog food is all soggy do you think the bear will still eat it?

2. pastorandrew

pastorandrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    hard to say, you wanna make sure you cover your bait up enough that coons can't get in to it or they will clean you out. I would check it in a few days, if not hit freshen it up, did you put out any fryer grease? if not go to a local bar and ask if you could buy a few gallons of used grease, pour that out all around the bait, and on it. then when animals hit the bait it sticks to their fur and paws and they carry the scent away with them for miles. when another bear crosses there path they can back track right to the bait.

3. dmen

dmen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I go to a country kitchen thrift store or a hostess thrift store. I am sure you have them around you. and definitely cover it well from the coons. They have killed my bait site.

4. rknierim

rknierim Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    All the guys around me were using a mix of powdered jello, liquid smoke, and vanilla with some water in a spray bottle. Seemed to bring bears in good for them. Of course they didn't tell me their little secret until I was getting ready to head home LOL! I'll know next time tho

5. wolvenkinde

wolvenkinde Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The bears couldn't care less if it's soggy...but definitely cover it to protect from coons. Most guys round here bury a chunk of hollow log and put a very large rock on top of it(it is amazing how strong the coons are) - btw any leftover foods, old stale donuts/pastry, grease, fish scraps, rotten eggs, basically anything edible and legal they will hit.

6. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This.