Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Be honest......What does "Legal shooting light" mean?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by GMMAT, Feb 4, 2010.

1. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No. IMO, it wouldn't be "alright". It would go against the intent of the law.

Tony....I won't get into the things I've discussed with my GW that he's "clarified" for me. I'd get crucified (here). Do I think I hunt within the intent of the game laws of NC? Yes, I do.

Ya know....by the letter of the law, it's NOT trespassing (for hunting purposes) for a hunter to go onto unposted land (if he hasn't previously been instructed by the landowner to keep out). Would it sit right with you if I hunted that way? I mean.....it isn't "illegal".

But.....is it "right"?

Cool. I'll continue to sleep fine!

2. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Josh, I am hoping that NY will change to 1/2 hour before and after .. then, outside of snowy full moon night, I wouldnt need to look at the time ... just like you, in NY 1/2 hour before and after is right there ..... it would be perfect ...

3. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Dan, shooting a deer past legal light is not a felony in Va I don't think...is shooting a deer after legal shooting hrs worse than speeding??? depends....shooting that deer does not endanger other humans, while speeding does...

back to the point im making...in Va we get 30 min before and 30 min after sunrise/sunset...and to be honest, I can't see well enough to shoot at a deer at that light, so it isn't an issue for me..

4. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't really agree with that analogy but just to play along. Yes I have drove 2mph over the speed limit. Label me a traffic violator. Guilty as charged. You'll never be able to label me a poacher though. I can live with that.
    Not really sure. If I had to guess it would be more for gun season. Knowing your target and beyond. I guess they felt it is getting unsafe to shoot around that time.

5. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's a good point. There are nights in NY like tony said with snow and a full moon you could literally hunt ALL night long. If taking an ethical shot is the deciding factor of when to push the legal hunting times then what's the difference? An ethical shot is the same at midnight as it is 10 minutes after sunset isnt it? If you 100% of your target and making a good clean shot? So where is the difference?

6. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    BINGO ... and with other logic used in this thread, as long as you dont look at the time, you could conceivably do 3 day sits ... ;)

7. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What stirs in someone's undies enough to make them giddy at calling someone else a "poacher" is beyond me.....lol.

I mentioned intent of the law. The same reason the GW won't write you up for shooting at a deer 1 minute past the posted legal shooting times.......is the same reason the highway patrolman won't write you a ticket for driving 1mph over the posted speed limit.

In other words, he's using the discretion afforded to him to decipher if a hunter/driver is hunting/driving within the intent of the law.

Hunt at night? Drive 100mph? You're not doing that. Be prepared to pay the piper.

8. hunterace

hunterace Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    many are missing the point that you aren't just hurting yourself by not following the laws, you are hurting hunting and hunters as a whole. like i said before no one is trying to ban driving as a whole but many would love to ban hunting all together

9. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ace...

Do you REALLY think an anti cares if you shot your deer at 6:04 or 6:11?

10. hunterace

hunterace Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    yes, i think anything that reflects poorly on hunters is a weapon for them to use against hunting. that means anything

11. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

Dont assume my undies are in a bunch ... I live my own life ... and as far as calling someone else a poacher .... if the shoe fits ...or better .... if the definition fits ... it fits ...spade a spade..... and also lets not pretend this thread was started for those that shoot 1 minute before or after .... the premise of this thread was hunting without regard to the law (hunting times) as long as you can make a clean shot .... and like we said before .... all night on a snowy full moon hunt...

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  12. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Don't pretend to know why I started this thread. The premise of this thread was exactly what I wrote in the opening post. It absolutely IS for those who may or MAY NOT shoot a minute or two this or that side of the posted line.....and asking what others do.

I think I can speak for the OP!....lol

"All night on a snowy full moon hunt" isn't driving 1mph over the speed limit. It's driving 100mph over the speed limit.....drunk...with a teenage girl's body in the trunk.

13. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Let's break this down ...nowhere does it state 1 or 2 minutes ... you are pretty good if you can determine 2 minutes or 10 minutes after legal shooting light .... and as far as whether it is out of convenience or not .... for you to wonder if it's "convenient or not, tells me that you are ignoring that voice ...but hearing it ;)

14. HuntingBry

HuntingBry Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I tell you what, I can make a real ethical shot on a deer stunned by the beam of my spotlight with my 30-06 resting on my lowered car window. In fact, I could almost guarantee a kill.

Is that cool?:rolleyes:

As I said before, I'm not going to push what I believe or do on others but if you pick and choose when it is convenient for you to follow the game laws what does that make you?

15. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's not that I'm ignoring that voice, Tony. I try to hunt.....so that I don't have to worry about hearing it. The difference between me and you is......I don't hear it....and you think something's wrong with me (because of that).

Really.....in this instance....I don't hear it.

But just for ****s and giggles.......whose voice is it? I'll bet you $$ my GW tells me it's not the NCWRC.

Bry...I'm picking and choosing nothing. As far as I know, I've never shot before or after legal light.

If you guys want me to say, though....that there ARE game laws I would knowingly break..... "There are game laws that I would knowingly break." (and, interestingly enough.....still no voice).

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  16. LAEqualizer

LAEqualizer Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Should have just thrown that in with the original post. Could have saved some a lot of reading and typing.:)

17. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The thing is, Bobby.....THIS scenario isn't one of them.

18. Oneshot7

Oneshot7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Considering I dont have to worry about a snowy full moon night here, I may get to hunt five extra minutes on the right night. I can tell when its gettin "late" and when I need to leave. Interestingly enough, here are a plenty of my neighbors that come out 5 mins after me. Call me a poacher if you want to, but I completely agree with Jeff on this subject. My ignorance is bliss, I dont hear any voice at all in the back of my head saying this is wrong.

19. BowHuntingFool

BowHuntingFool Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Could you imagine the threads that would get started if some ones neighbor, adjoining land owner shot that big GIANT buck you were after ALL season, 50 yards from your property line, 100 yards from your best stand you were in that same night...... about 2 minutes after legal shooting time... boy the whining sure would start then aye'..... I bet it wouldn't be all right then now would it... :rolleyes:

20. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My guess is, Joe....it wouldn't have to be true or not to be claimed.

Yeah. I can imagine.