Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Be honest......What does "Legal shooting light" mean?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by GMMAT, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Reese

Reese Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  2. bz_711

bz_711 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good Stuff!:D

3. HuntingBry

HuntingBry Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

4. SparrowHawk

SparrowHawk Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

Happened to me just this season. I had a buck walk by in the AM and it was close to legal shooting hours. I never wear a watch and If I am going to check the time I use my phone. When it comes to how light it is I'll take a shot based on If I think that shot is ethical or not. The first time this buck walked by I actually pulled back and said to myself its just not quite light enough, so I let up. The buck offered me a second chance about ten minutes later and I took it and connected. I never checked what time it was..........but I did check if there was enough light to clearly see through my peep, see my target, and see where I wanted to place my pin on the target. When it comes to PM hunts and losing daylight I usually draw back my bow and look through my peep to determine if I shoot right now would I have enough light put a good shot on the deer. Many times I have had deer around me feeding in the PM and just let my bow sit on the hanger because I feel its just not a high percentage shot therefore I see it as an unethical shot. To answer your question GMMAT I'm shooting.

5. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Jeff .. in my area the DEC rides around during shotgun season with their windows down before "legal" shooting time ....

I am just saying that it is poaching ... not MY definition ... the game laws ...

it is so funny to see how many guys get ruffled when you plow in their pea patch ... lol ....hilarious :D (not talking about you, Jeff)

spade a spade

6. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    right! Pretty simple ;)

If you break the game law in pursuit of an animal, you are a poacher ... just call it what it is ...

and Jeff, after you and BigJ produced your sides to that other dilemma, I re-canted my position ..... so i will just do what you do with the time ... I wont ask ;)

7. Southernboy

Southernboy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hope nobody saw me drill that mockingbird.....

SB

8. KodiakArcher

KodiakArcher Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    As long as you don't use electronic assistance up here you're legal. On a December goat hunt that gives you about 5 hours of hunting light, on a June bear hunt it gives you about 20!!

9. Oneshot7

Oneshot7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot when and while I can see, never have and never will look up shooting times before I leave to go deer hunting. Only thing I check times for is Duck hunting, and thats for the afternoon hunts

10. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Now that is an interesting sentence ..... please tell us all what the difference is, Kiddo ......:rolleyes:

11. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't see the big issue, unless hunting a field edge....No way in hell I have enough light to see through my peep for a good shot by the end of legal shooting hours. My pins glow in the dark on their own, they aren't the issue....I can't see my peep well enough when it's that dark out.

Are the guys talking about this hunting in the woods or field edges?

12. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I almost did, but I was unethical in that situation also, my BB was too damn light and bounced of the damn bird. It was flying away and a hell of a shot:D

13. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Where I hunt I have to be back at a certain time in order to check in, plus I hunt federal land and abide by their rules. I am constantly aware of legal shooting hours. But, if I hunted on private land, I probably would not pay as close attention. Do what is right in terms of identifying your target and then shooting it. If one cannot see 15 minutes prior to the end of legal shooting hours, then they have to accept that and move on. If a person is hunting on their own land and feel comfortable not really paying attention to the time in terms of shooting hours, I do not really care.

14. fatsbucknut

fatsbucknut Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Because guns can be heard and bows cant.

15. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A huge buck that you've been glassing walks into bow range at 6:28pm, you are focused on the deer, release on string, illegal shooting hours begin at 6:29. your waiting for a clear shot... you come to full draw... Crap, wait I gotta check my watch... you let down... your second hand trips to 6:29.

You let the deer walk... but guess what your still holding your bow.... might as well make the call yourself....(to the GW that is) :D

16. Oneshot7

Oneshot7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    being completely honest, its a heck of a lot more expensive and a fed. charge duck hunting before or after LST and the game wardens hound the duck hunters round here

17. Sooner

Sooner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I believe our regs say add or subtract so many seconds for every mile that you are east or west of such and such town .... I hunt too many different areas of the state and I don't feel like carrying a calculator with me so the answer is ... no, I do not pay attention to "legal" shooting hours. If it's light enough to see CLEARLY, then I shoot, period

18. MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    another question for this!! WHAT TIME DO YOU PUT DOWN ON YOUR TAG?????

THE ACTUAL TIME OR THE TIME THAT IS UNDER OR OVER THE LEGAL SHOOTING TIME?????????

VERY INTERESTING THREAD!!!!!:eek:

19. BowtechHunting

BowtechHunting Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Legally for me, like most of you, if I can see and make out the front shoulder then it's legal. Same goes for morning and evening. I usually will not get down out of my stand until I no longer can see my pins or make out the animal. We all know the first and last 30 are the best so, why leave during the best part of the show?

20. michaelp

michaelp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just for chits and giggles I went out in my back yard this morning. I have a large field behind me and a few big trees in my yard. In either setting I could not see through my peep until well after what is deemed legal shooting time by the regs. I have a mckenzie carbon target so I was basically drawing on what would be the intended target. By the time I felt I could honestly make the kill (probably still needed more light) it was well after the legal time.