Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Be honest......What does "Legal shooting light" mean?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by GMMAT, Feb 4, 2010.

1. LAEqualizer

LAEqualizer Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Laws are what they are. If you get caught, you pay. If you don't, you have only yourself and the good Lord to answer to. I honestly try not to put myself in that scenario. If I find myself there, I guess at that point "my" decision will be "my" decision. I also know that hunting with the trad bow is a whole other ballgame as to what "looks like quittin' time".

I feel kinda like Joe on this. I would hate to know every time I looked at that "trophy", that I took it illegally.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  2. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So just don't look (at your watch)!......lol

Is ignorance really bliss?

I have NO IDEA if I'm legal, or not (most times). If I look, I abide. Right or wrong, I'm just telling you the truth.

3. brucelanthier

brucelanthier Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wear a watch and I know what time it is. Usually, on morning hunts, I look at my watch and know when I can shoot, then it's just a matter of enough light. In the evenings I am generally on my way out of the tree 15 minutes before closing time if not sooner.

4. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly, I've passed one buck at less than 10 yards that is bigger than anything I've killed, rifle or gun. It was minutes before legal shooting light and I could have probably gotten a good shot on him, but I knew I wouldn't be comfortable looking at him onthe wall knowing it wasn't *right*.

With that said, I took a shot at a yote last November about 5 minutes before shooting light. I really didn't know if it was legal, I think it was, but not 100% sure. I just knew that we neede to thin the yotes and I wasn't going to
    pass a chance to do it…had I known for sure it wasn't legal I probably wouldn't have done it.

5. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I had a solid 110" 8 point (big for me) at 20yds during the last week of the season last year. It was past legal shooting light, and although I was at full draw with the pin on him, I let down.

It's the only situation I've been in that close to shooting light.

6. carpsniper

carpsniper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I only made it this far before I must reply. Don't delude yourself.
    What's legal may not be ethical, but if it's illegal it IS unethical. An ethical hunter will not knowingly take an illegal shot. Antler size or high percentage shot be damned.
    If you take that shot outside of legal hours...you ARE a poacher.

7. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Okay I have to be honest here. My life (and most others) is run by a clock. I get out of bed the same time, I go to work the same time, I eat my lunch the same time.... EVERYDAY!! I hate that part of my life being controlled by the clock.

One MAJOR part of (stand) hunting is purposely not wearing a watch, or if I do, not looking at it much, if at all. I love the fact of NOT knowing what time it is and just relaxing. I can't stress that enough. Not knowing what time it is!!!!!

Well, to be honest I would NEVER knowingly take a shot out of legal shooting hours. EVER! However, if part of my pleasure is NOT knowing the time it can be tough to know for sure.

So would I take a shot out of legal hours? I'll never know.... ;) (not being sarcastic)

8. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Respectfully disagree.

I can cite examples.....if you're still hung up.

9. ICALL2MUCH

ICALL2MUCH Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'll bite.

10. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah you were probably one of them pushing for the lighted pins. This traditional bowhunter (myself) gets down the same exact time (light wise) I did when I shot a compound. Do I know when legal shooting time expires every night? I'm In tune with It and most times I'm out when the law says I'm suppose to be. It's kinda funny some of these compound folks think us traditional bow hunters can stay later because we have no pins. You people who say this don't have a clue. If I can't see my tiny spot I'm shooting for I'm not shooting, no different then your sight pins.

11. Cougar Mag

Cougar Mag Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When I used peep sights I know I was legal.......couldn't see the pins well enough to shoot. Now that I have gone back to no peep I am pretty sure I have been sitting too long in the evenings sometimes. I won't take a shot at anything I cannot see clearly though. Most of the time I admit to staying on stand until dark, generally because deer are around me and I don't want to spook them if possible.

Don't know how other states are but some of the shooting times in Illinois are downright rediculous, especially on a clear sunny day. Still I understand the necessity of having the shooting times.

12. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ex 1. - Deer is hit by a car, in front of your home. It's legs are broken (compound fractures) and it's audibly in pain....but unable to move itself. You have a gun in your hand......no one is around.

It's June.

Ex 2 - You hit a deer with your arrow a bit back on the last day of the season. You take up your track, but jump your animal 200yds from the POI. You back out.

In the morning, you come back with a weapon.....and your deer is still alive, but unable to move.

Ex 3 - Your father is staying with your family, during the holidays. It's 3AM, and he's experiencing severe chest pains. You know you have to get him to the emergency room.

The speed limit is 45.

13. OHbowhntr

OHbowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Jeff,
    If I can see it (without the aid of a spotlight, etc), I can shoot it. That being said, I think I've only killed one deer that MIGHT have been past "Legal Shooting Light," but I don't wear a watch for nothing, and usually don't take my Cell w/ me when hunting because I don't get any service anywhere I hunt anyhow!!! I stayed in my stand until almost 8pm one night on a full moon night when we had snow on the ground because I could. Was I "legal," no, but it was cool nonetheless......

14. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    "To my knowledge", I've never killed (or attempted a shot at) a deer outside of legal shooting times, either.

15. ICALL2MUCH

ICALL2MUCH Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A big fat touche to all of those. My intention was to the topic, not law as a whole.

But - certainly you're correct in those instances, IMO.

I'm the same as most of you - but then- WHY should it be any different during GUN (yeah, I said it lol) season? Or is it?

Interesting to ponder, nonetheless.

16. BowHuntingFool

BowHuntingFool Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    WOW! I am shocked at some of these replies! So if you'll take a shot a few minutes after/before legal shooting time, why not a few hours after legal shooting time??? They are both illegal, don't kid yourself, Get real!

17. RattleSnake

RattleSnake Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The only time I wear a watch is when I'm hunting. I consider (so does the WDNR) shooting prior to or after SHOOTING HOURS to be poaching. I have been out of the tree well before hours were up in the PM when I know nothing is around just to get out rather than get busted climbing down by a late arrival deer. If I'm in the stand with deer around; I will not only take my release off, but I'll also remove the arrow from the bow and have many times let it down while deer are present. I don't care how it's sliced, and I agree with BHF that the times set forth by the state is the beginning or end of each day.

18. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    "I" don't think it is (different). I'd hunt the same way (in regards to this thread), regardless of my weapon of choice.

I simply choose not to look....and rely on taking an ethical SHOT. When I can't see well enough to do that (regardless of the situation), I un-nock my arrow. If deer are around me, I wait for them to clear.....then come down. If they're not, I start packing my gear.

No BS.....just the truth. If I have confidence in the shot, I'll take it.

Because....no matter what.....I can't hunt in the dark. And....I'm being very REAL.

19. OHbowhntr

OHbowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I HEAR what you're saying, but what if it's a rainy foggy morning, and at 0800, it's legal shooing light by the "R&R" but it's really not bright enough to shoot??? :confused: I remember once hearing a state that had a law that said you could shoot as long as you deemed you could see w/ NATURAL light. I think that's a very worthwhile law that could be useful to all of us. Forget the watch, forget sunrise/sunset, can you clearly focus and shoot??? YES or NO???

See above.........now continuing on, I think it's sort of the difference between driving 58 and driving 98. Is it "ok" to drive 58 in a 55MPH zone??? Personally for you is that ok??? You PROBABLY will say "yes." Now lets make it 98mph??? Is that still okay, or at that point are you pushing safety aside for "personal thrill????" Again, I'm pretty sure one of the deer I shot back in 2003 was shot just a hair late, but it was also a fullish moon, and I could clearly see.....It never even struck me that it was "LATE" until I got to my truck, and thought WOW, it's LATER than I thought. Am I a poacher??? I suppose some could call me that, but there's a HUGE difference between shooting a deer 15minutes after legal light, and shooting one w/ a spotlight and a high-powered rifle, or with a NOD scope.....

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  20. BowHuntingFool

BowHuntingFool Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well put Steve!