Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Be honest......What does "Legal shooting light" mean?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by GMMAT, Feb 4, 2010.

1. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Shooting a deer 1 minute past hours and shooting a deer in the middle of the night or off season is different. MUCH different. Not even in the same ball park if you use common sense. Yet both are wrong. And serious, to be honest.

I could see someone (myself included) making the mistake of shooting an arrow 1 minute past hours. It could happen. I hope it doesn't. But if it did, did I really gain advantage with the intent of the rules in mind? I say no.

I cannot see someone sitting there in the middle of the night or during the off season shooting a deer and saying they didn't gain advantage with the intent of the rules.

I see a big difference there. Do you?

Or, is it you broke the rules, your broke the rules. Period?

2. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I totally agree with shooting a deer 1 minute after by mistake .... I have watched deer for an hour and it felt like 20 minutes ..... I would never have an issue with that, nor would I feel guilty if it happened to me ....... but this thread isnt about that ....

3. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

It isn't what this thread was about? Jeff asked what legal was to all of us and you stated that it was WHEN shooting time ended. Period.

I guess that is my point Tony. It's not that black or white. There is some gray in there.

I don't think ANYONE is promoting sitting out there in the middle of the night and hunting, or hunting off season. The question has to be..... where do you draw the line?

You just admitted that it could happen that someone with great intentions, shoots 1 minute late. What about 2 minutes? 5? 10?

It is a complicated question. I don't have all the answers.

4. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What is legal is not defined by us ....

1 minute could differ in cell phones on time .... 5-10 minutes ....c'mon man .... you KNOW when it is 10 minutes past legal shooting light .... so its not really complicated ... if I shoot a deer 1 minute past in ignorance and get busted by a Gamey .. I have no beef with him ... just like getting pullled over for speeding (missed the speed change) ..both in ignorance ... both have reprecussions when busted

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  5. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

Agree Agree Agree. I don't think a guy shooting a deer 1 min after is a poacher. Some in this thread have argued that stance.

A guy 10 minutes over?.... getting pretty close, in my opinion. But a poacher is a STRONG word in the English language. And it needs to be used cautiously.

So guess what? It all boils down to using good judgment and common sense which has been my point all along. You have to take it on a case by case basis and weigh all the facts.

6. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    it is our resposibility to know when out hunt starts and when its over ... and that is not subjective ... it is set by the game commission ... and we need to obey it .... you have seen guys on here say they wouldnt duck hunt before hours because they would get busted ... but they would shoot a buck if they could see ...regardless of the time .... nuff said ... black and white ;)

7. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah maybe it's time for a group hug. ;):)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  8. MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Tony I'm glad you feel the way you do about this subject, that was one reason i invited you down to hunt here with me this past fall.

If people decide to break the law where they know they are breaking the law or not, they are still breaking the law. Some day they will be caught, like i haven't heard my car can't go that fast. (It was though) i thought the speed limit was 65 and not 55 ( your still over the speed limit) or my speedometer isn't working (thats against the law also) Sooner or later they get caught!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Break the law and your a law breaker!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

9. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Can't say I know ANYBODY who has been ticketed or even stopped for doing 57 in a 55.

Can't say I know ANYBODY who has been ticketed or even questioned for shooting at 6:02pm when 6:00pm was illegal.

Common sense, Push your luck and you'll get busted for sure... (i.e. your post of 65 in a 55) (i.e. Hunt 1 hr after dark with your Q-beam.)

10. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    you guys mean Ryan and I shouldnt be out chasing bugling bulls in the full moon ? LMAO .. jk, come on guys.. once again Jeff fires up the popcorn topic! Nice work Jeff. :)

11. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'll just say this.....and step back out (and it has nothing to do with the original topic.....just some attitudes exhibited within).

"Ethics" and "Legal" don't always walk the same path. I can think of many things (hunting-wise) that would illegal. But "unethical"? No freakin' way.

12. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ethics are subjective .... which means ... it depends on the subject and their interpretation ..... so when a pedophile thinks its not un-ethical to "love" a child .... is that ok? I realize that is an extreme case, it was meant to be .....

so what you call "ethical" ...could really be anarchy ;)

13. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    LMAO! :D

I can't believe this thread is still going. Wait, it's the off season, yes I can. :rolleyes:

14. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I guess I really really don't understand this. What is gray about it? LEGAL time is the time the law says you can hunt. From point A to point B is when a hunter can LEGALLY hunt. It really is that black and white. Anything that you are determining on your own before or after that is your ethical decision. The legal part is not subjective.

Again... why is it different. If being able to take an ethical shot is the determining factor for pushing the legal times, then why not? I can ethically kill a deer at midnight the same as 10 minutes after legal shooting hours.

As far as the 1 minute after legal shooting hours. Let's give that one up. I dont' think anyone is going to look down on or call a poacher to the guy that shoots a deer unknowingly 1 minute after legal shooting hours. We obviously don't have a shot clock on the tree in the background to help us. It's more for the guy that KNOWS and is willing to sit out there well past legal shooting hours. Or the guy that sees a deer off in the distance slowly working towards them. Knows its going to be past legal time when the deer gets to them and sits in his stand waiting for it and then kills it.

15. NY Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That's true Jeff, but I guess one has to know which laws the are willing to bend to make their ethical choice. Personally I choose not to poach a deer by shooting it after legal hours. I don't want to be a poacher. Matter of fact I dont' see how shooting a deer 20 minutes after legal shooting hours is the "ethical" thing to do. What is ethical about it? Not like you're putting a suffering deer out of it's misery. You're just choosing to go against the law for your personal interest not the deers.

If a deer goes onto private land that I know I'll have no chance of getting permission to retrieve it on, you're damn right you'll be calling me a trespasser the next day. My ethical decision is to not let the deer that I just ended it's life sit out in the woods and rot. I'm going to get it and I'm going to trespass to do it. Guilty.

16. buttonbuckmaster

buttonbuckmaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Poacher.

:D

17. NY Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Shot on my land during legal light

Trespasser not poacher lol:D:p:rolleyes:

18. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    great example ... and they wouldnt be wrong in calling you that ...... but label some of the great hunters on here a poacher .... and it hit em right in the pride :D

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  19. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    let's be really honest here....this is an internet forum, not too many of us really know each or will we ever come face to face, we will never honestly know what kind of people we are or what ethics we hold...or even what laws one may have or still break every year.... does it really matter?? I mean does Tony really care if I shoot a deer 40 seconds after legal light?? I doubt it. Does Jeff? Nope. Do I ?nope...I like you guys on here, I will likely never hunt with or meet any of you and I really don't care what you do in your woods...and neither does anyone else on here....but this is a good off season topic and it has provided some quality entertainment..

20. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe not. But they're SURE chompin' at the bit to do it in this thread.

In your scenarion, NY...YES...you would be a poacher (though I don't get the giddy feeling, saying that). If I dispatch a deer at night/out of season......poacher. If I take a deer out of season, with the legitimate reason of "I need to feed my family".......poacher.

The difference here is.....I don't hear that voice some of you think I should be hearing. But I WOULD hear it if I didn't dispatch that deer.....or feed my family.

Tell me....would you rather hear "that voice".....or your hungry kid's?

This "I will follow the letter of the law, with no exceptions" mantra isn't laudable.....it's laughable.