Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Be honest......What does "Legal shooting light" mean?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by GMMAT, Feb 4, 2010.

1. HuntingBry

HuntingBry Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Jeff, my reply wasn't directed at you or anyone in particular. Honestly, IMO if you don't know the exact time and shoot a deer 2 minutes after the designated shooting time because you've been watching and waiting for the shot for quite some time and got wrapped up in the moment I've got no problem with that. The GW might, but I don't. On the other hand, if you know it's past shooting light and you can still see so you stay in your stand and say "F--- the shooting time I can still see so it's ethical" I've got a problem with that. Again JMHO.

2. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Understood. I suppose.......... how "some" people view what I do (ethics-wise) is important to me (count yourself in that group). I can look you straight in the eye and say I've never knowingly taken an illegal shot......and I can also tell you I'm looking for no advantage. I don't see this situation that way.

Ethical shot - take it - regardless of legal time.
    Unethical shot - Pass - regardless of legal time.

It's that simple. I'm also smart enough to know that a shot in the DARK (for the 'snow on the ground enthusiasts) would be KNOWINGLY taking an illegal shot. I won't go there.

Again....I'm looking at the intent of the law. And, I'm sure (in my heart) I'm working within that.

3. BowHuntingFool

BowHuntingFool Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm willing to bet this happens more than one would think after reading some of these posts! :eek::eek:

Bry, in both scenarios you listed, whats the difference!

4. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Joe....

Are you OK with me taking a shot in the dark....as long as it's withing legal shooting times?

Why? Or, why not?

Are you OK with me taking a shot in plenty of light.....if it's taken 2 minutes after legal shooting light?

Does "unethical" and "illegal" walk the same path? In other words.....is everything "illegal"....."unethical" (in your eyes)?

No wrong answers.

5. HuntingBry

HuntingBry Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Legally, there is no difference. One guy didn't know he had broken the law, which doesn't make it right. The other knows and doesn't care.

In either case the law was broken but one individual has regard for the law and made a mistake, the other individual has no regard for the law.

6. BowHuntingFool

Dislikes Received:
    If you think you can make the shot and its legal, take it. Why? because its legal and you think you can make it.

Jeff, the shooting should be done legally, plain and simple, the hunter is responsible for knowing and following the game laws, period, this is taught to kids and to new hunters during the hunters education class.

I really can't believe that someone actually argues against this! :confused:

"In other words.....is everything "illegal"....."unethical" (in your eyes)?"

Most likely.

I wondering how many guys would be wearing and looking at there watch if there was a GW sitting 150 yards away watching your hunt thru a binocular, would you still take that after hours shot?? I'm sure some WOULD win that darwin award!

7. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Legal shot- take it- as long as it's ethical
    Illegal shot- Pass- regardless of ethical or not

It's that simple.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  8. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ok........

You're telling me (as a snow enthusiast) that a deer standing in front of me at 10 yards with a full moon in an open field with snow on the ground isn't an easy/"ethical" shot? I can see its' lungs clear as day. So back to your ethical shot - take it- regardless of time.... what do you suggest I do? Seems like a pretty ethical shot to me. 99.9% sure if I let an arrow fly the deer is dead.

9. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Joe,

Like it or not that is human nature. Your never going to get away from peoples feelings when they have an emotional involvement.

In other words, human nature will always cause what is right and wrong bases on your involvement. Just look how parents view their kids for proof.

10. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry it isn't that black or white (proved by the length of this thread). In a perfect world it would be, but this is not a perfect world.

11. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    with that kind of logic .... this country is in big trouble :(

12. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Respectfully,

A. I'm dealing with reality. Not fantasy world.

B. Talking about a "holy'r than thou" attitude.

13. OHbowhntr

OHbowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I find it HUMOROUS that you can be on a high horse about one but not another. YOU can cast the first stone when YOU start driving the speed limit and stopping completely at stop signs. A law is a law, or is it??? :confused: You can throw all the criticism around you want, but I'll still sleep just fine. Remember ETHICS are a personal thing, and just because mine or a few others may not match yours don't mean you're right and we're wrong and vice versa. I respect your PERSONAL ethics, you've drawn your line in the sand, as have I, and nothing I'm gonna say is gonna change you, and nothing you say is gonna change me. If I can't see I don't shoot, plain and simple. MANY times I'm on my way out of the woods while there is still time "in season" :rolleyes:, because I know I'm not capable of making an ethical shot. Likewise, if I were to have been hunting here in OH tonight, I'd have likely stayed a little late as I'm sure I could still see a little past LEGAL time. Does that make me a poacher??? No more than your speeding makes YOU a common criminal. At least I can admit that I'll bend the rules a little. I suspect if you had an opportunity at a 200" buck 2 minutes past shooting light on a snowy night where you could see PERFECTLY, you'd take that shot, and maybe not sleep well but still be happy to have the deer!!!! I KNOW I would, if I felt confident in the shot, I'm not gonna tell anyone any different, because I know I would. At the same time, if it was raining/snowing, and visibility was poor and I couldn't see, even with 15minutes of shooting light left, I'm not taking the shot, PERIOD!!!

He'd have my "CONGRATS!!!" As that was his decision, if he felt it was an ethical shot, and made it, and killed the buck I was after, then so be it. I ain't MY deer, it's "GOD'S." (I say this because I hate hearing people say the STATE owns the animals, GOD owns the animals, and he put them here for us to use.... But again, if I was in my stand still, then you know if he didn't shoot it..... I WOULD HAVE!!!! :D

14. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    GF ... how is there a holier than thou attituded ... I dont get it ... its the law ... plain and simple ... it realy IS black and white ......

15. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

Yeah well I am defiantly not a "rules are rules" type guy. I still think common sense, good judgment and doing the right thing overrides rules in most cases.

This is a complicated topic (even though some agure it's not). I still go back to what Jeff said and you have to look at the intent of the rules. That is the bottom line for me.

16. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Doug ... God says to obey EVERY ordinance of man FOR THE LORD'S SAKE .... so you are breaking HIS rules ...yes?

17. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The "holy'r than thou" attitude comes from "this country is in trouble" because I feel this topic isn't "black or white". I took offense to that to be honest.

If it was black or white, this topic would of went 1 page and would died. Not so apparently.

There have been excellent points on both sides. Honestly, I am still trying to decide my final verdict because of the valid points on both sides.

18. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My point is it SHOULD be black and white .. we should repect the game laws .. period ... Doves aren't legal in NY, yet there are TONS of them flying around .. should I kill them while rabbit and pheasant hunting because I feel the law in NY is wrong?

What stops all of us from hunting off season, is what should stop use from shooting an animal before or after legal shooting hours

19. BowHuntingFool

Dislikes Received:

Don't feel so special, I'm not trying to change you in the least bit, so don't get your undies in a bunch! Nice try on the 200" deer though, it's not that big of a deal to me..... it would mean absolutely NOTHING to me if I killed it illegally, ANY deer for that matter! Good luck.....

20. buttonbuckmaster

buttonbuckmaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Will we have an * for all the poached deer in next years contest? :D