Be carefull in the woods wear tick repellant

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Doublelung1977, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Doublelung1977

Doublelung1977 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hi all, just thought i would let you guys know to be aware of ticks while in the field. I was just diagnosed today with lymes disease. After 2 years of crazyniess i found whats wrong with me. Just be cautious out in the field fellas. I live in northern illinois just outside of elgin. If it can happen to me it can happen to you. Just be carefull
    Thanks brent

2. PSEREVENGEMAN

PSEREVENGEMAN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I tested Poz for long term Lymes on a hunch this summer. I have been hunting, gutting, planting trees in Wisconsin for 45 years. 3 weeks of doxycycline and the Lymes is gone but any damage up to this point is permanent. Simple blood test.

3. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had it last year... no fun at all... hope you get it all taken care of!

4. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I tested positive also...but it's not a "lyme" test, it tests your levels of antibodies that fight lyme disease... the same antibodies that fight other diseases also... such as syphilis...lol

Aside of that many people with lyme do not show elevated levels of antibodies, but still have lyme, and it can show false +/- too... very unreliable test... but if you test Pos with your symptoms, you most likely have the 'ol Lyme disease. You can also get a Western Blot test to confirm it more accurately.

I was on the doxycycline for 21 days, that seemed to take care of it, but my whole summer was ruined.

5. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    How do you find that out after two years? Just stayed sick and finally had a blood test done?

6. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I hope to never get it. Hope everything goes good with those who have and and who will get it.

7. Doublelung1977

Dislikes Received:
    The doctors around here have egos tall as the buildings in chicago. Feeling tired finally manifested into muscle aches and pains and anxiety and all sorts of stuff. Now joints ache. Docs just want to chalk it up as anxiety disorder and send you on your way. Thats why its been going on for 2 years along with cortisone shots in the neck. Which did nothing for the god awfull neck pain.

8. Doublelung1977

Dislikes Received:
    I still will be out this year harpooning whitetail. I will be wearing gloves this year gutting deer thats for sure.

9. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear about that and thanks for the reminder.

What are people's thought on how ticks get on us in the first place?
    Brushing against leaves when walking through the woods?
    Crawling up our boots when we stop to get set up?
    Crawling on us from the tree's we're set up in?

I use Permethrin big time and I'm still amazed at where I find these ticks on me.

10. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There is no evidence that lyme can transfer through blood, it has to come from a tick bite.

11. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear that Brent. If you don't mind, can you be a little more specific about the symptoms you had. I've had issues for a couple years as well, and should probably get a test.

12. Doublelung1977

Dislikes Received:
    Last confirmed tick bite was in shulyar county 2008 attached for 3 days in my navel. Pulled tick off and was red and swollin for 3 weeks. Started with gastro issues followed by anxiety and depression 2 years ago massive flare ups of muscle tremors and spasms and tightness, blurred vision funny feeling in left side face. Currently manifested into aching hips,shoulders,hands,toes,fingers extreme anxiety or panic. Burning feeling in feet and hands. Ringing in ears, noises are amplified,mood swings angry

13. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had stiff neck,achy couldn't hardly move it, all the flu like symptoms... and various other things basically felt like I was dying from some rare disease until they figured out what was wrong... But the craziest thing I noticed, was that Loud noises would actually make me dizzy.... Did you experience anything like that?

14. gri22ly

gri22ly Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I bet I've pulled 1,000 ticks of me in the last 10 years. For a few years now, I've started having anxiety, dizzy spills, vertigo, get tired easily, stiff and hurt all the time. I just thought I was getting old (be 40 next month) guess I should get it checked out.

15. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's pretty much what I've been experiencing too, grizz. Even had trouble driving on the highway sometimes.

16. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Lyme is a serious disease to be watched for, but the scary one on the rise right now is Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, or RMSF. Something crazy like a 95% mortality rate if you don't catch it in the first 5-7 days. Doxy is the only known treatment for it as well.

17. PSEREVENGEMAN

PSEREVENGEMAN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Achy knees,joints. Numb hands, loss of dexterity. I surf, backpack at 12,000 feet and play tennis 3x's/week so this was weird. I thought it was MS. Should have gone in 2 years ago. My GF gets a close exam nightly even after snowshoeing.. Shhh, she's a brit and doesn't know any better. What a caring guy I am!

18. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    After turkey hunting this spring I asked my wife (a nurse) what this weird spot on my side was. She said prob just a bug bite of some kind. A week later I had a full blown bulls eye rash. I went to the doctor and he said with the rash and my symptoms (flu like symptoms) that it was lymes. 30 days of antibiotics. I was lucky. Only 1/3 of people who have lymes actually get the bulls eye rash and some don't even get symptoms until years later. Its serious business. If left untreated it can become a debilitating decease and in worse case can be similar to MS. Also blood tests for lymes are not good and there are a lot of false negatives. So, be careful. Check for deer ticks they mean business. And no you cant get it from the blood of a deer only the tick itself, and the tick has to be attached to you for over 24 hours for it to transfer lymes. SO CHECK YOURSELF.

19. jakeratt

jakeratt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    do you mean Schuyler county IL???? if so where at in Schuyler

20. Doublelung1977

Dislikes Received:
    Rushville