BBD, Franki and Clinton connect.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by BH.COM-CLINTON, Oct 21, 2011.

1. BH.COM-CLINTON

BH.COM-CLINTON BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    I will try to keep this short and sweet. We killed our buck on Monday the 17th but the hunt really started on Sunday night. Frank And I had been bouncing around trying to hunt all of our new sets at least once during the early season. Just to make sure that we liked the set up and to do any tweaking that we needed to do before we really started to hunt hard. So we headed up the road from my house to hunt a set that I had hung on a big pinch. This was more of a seek and chase type set for the rut, but we thought we would give it a shot anyways.
    Good thing we hunted it because it needed re worked and I could tell by the look on Franks face that he hated the spot. So we bailed out a few minutes early and headed back to the truck. When we arrived on the field edge we could see three bucks down at the other end of the field. It was getting really dark but through our binos we could see them. Two of the bucks were sparring and one was working a scrape line. We watched them for a few min. and then figured out a plan on the way home.

The next day I went to work and Frank started to round up the things that we were going to need. Hes not working right now because of his knee. He tore his ACL over the summer. All Day long I just had that feeling. The weather was perfect and It was all I could do to get my self to stay at work. So I set some goals of what I wanted to get done that day and got going. I talked to Frank quite a bit that day and we both felt like we had a shot. The plan was for me to get home at 330 get a quick shower and be headed back to hang the new set by 4.

I was running late and didnt get out of the house till 4. Frank was not very happy. We had both had that feeling all day that it was going to happen tonight but we didnt want to get in there late and bust them out. As we were headed up there I told Frank that I thought we should just go below the house and hunt one of our food plots. He wouldn't go for that. He said he new we were going to kill the deer from last night he was just pissed that I was running late. We get to the farm and Frank takes off without me. Im sure he did this on purpose that way we didnt have to argue about what tree we were going to hunt. By the time I got all My gear on and go back there he had already started putting the sticks in a tree that was about ten yards from where I was planning on hunting. I started to say something about it and he just gave me the look so thats where we stayed. Once he had the sticks up he came back down and we shot an interview before I hung the set and we got settled in.

There wasnt much getting settled in. It was 5 by the time we had gotten our selves situated and before we could even get everything squared a way we had does and fawns right under us. The first group was there for around 15 min and after they left we started to shoot our pre hunt interview. while doing this more deer came out and we got cut short.

This was the kind of movement that we had anticipated. We were on the front edge of a cold front. Plus to make things even better we had a light rain. This is by far my favorite time to be in the woods. So Fast forward to 6 pm. I look down the field edge and there he stands. He is 125 yards away and working some scrapes. After we both take a quick look at him we decided that he was a shooter. We couldnt agree on how big he was but we were convinced we would ground check him later.

That deer stood there forever. He stood in the same spot for 15 min. Never moved just stood down there and scanned the field. Frank let me know that we were running out of light and that we better try to make something happen. I grunted at him and he didnt care never even moved. But when that basket rack came out and headed across the field right at us I grunted at mr big and it had a different effect. All I remember is telling Frank that hes coming. You know how they are he was on a mission and it didnt take long for him to close the distance. He was going to pass at 45 yards out in the field and by this time it had started to rain pretty hard. So I told Frank I wasnt going to shoot him. I wasnt comfortable with that shot in the rain. Once he was strait out in front of us he turned and started to cut towards us at a 45. I quickly grabbed my rangefinder and found that it was going to be 35 yards. Frank was still rolling on him and after a quick shift for both of us around the tree it was go time. Frank gave me the go ahead. I drew my new Mathews Z7 extreme tactical back got and got settled in. One short grunt and he stopped. I double checked with Frank and we were still good. All I remember is the kisser button buried in my mouth and my knuckle in the back of my jaw. As my pins came into focus I put the bright orange one a touch high and touched off my thumb release.

Man the feeling of a great shot. To many times over the last couple years I have missed the opportunity at this feeling. That lighted knock looked like a beacon in the dark night sky. I center punched him with the big Bloodrunner and he didnt live 10 seconds.

Ill end it there.

All I can say is WOW. It was a special night, the kind that you close your eyes and dream about.

Thats the one thing that I love about filming. Its such a team sport. Frank and I have been best friends for 15 years and been playing sports together the whole time. The next time you read this it will be from Frank.

Heres a couple pics. Please watch Bow Hunt Or Die next Friday the 28th and check him out.

Thanks Frank, Thanks for making me hunt that tree. Thanks for being there I OWE YOU ONE.

Attached Files:

2. Beef

Beef Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    congrats man!

3. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Nice job guys! Can't wait to see the footage.

Great point about the teamwork involved in filming a hunt. Shooting a good buck is fun enough as it is, but to have your best friend in the tree with you makes it even better. :tu:

4. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice deer, congrats!

5. sevi316

sevi316 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great deer and awesome story congrats!!!

6. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Loved the story! Congrats to you both!

7. Meathunter

Meathunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats! nice Buck!

8. nealmccullough

nealmccullough BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Great story... I think we can all relate to the feeling of sitting at work - knowing the day is going to be good... (Like today for example)

BowhuntOrDie!
    Can't wait to see the footage!

9. rednas5

rednas5 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good job, nice buck.

10. jcook!!

jcook!! Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice Buck!!!

11. liwhitetail

liwhitetail Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome buck can't wait to see the footage

12. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Beautiful Buck! Congrats guys :tu:

13. Hoyt 'N' It

Hoyt 'N' It Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    great team work you guys! awesome buck clinton......

14. BowFreak

BowFreak Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Great looking buck. Congrats.

15. Indiana Hunter

Indiana Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What a buck!!! Great job on getting the job done. I am looking foward to the footage next week!

16. JCraig

JCraig Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That's awesome! Congrats!

17. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats!

18. dukemichaels

dukemichaels Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats gents!

19. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Very nice, great character! congrats guys!

20. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nice story. Nice buck. Always fun to have someone else be apart of your hunt.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills right now at work. I can't imagine your friend waiting with nothing going on. That would be tough to do.