Bareshaft "tuning" disaster

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Kfili, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Was shooting my bow today and wanted to check my bareshafts. at 20 yards my bareshaft hit the target so sideways it didnt even enter it and I couldnt find it. at 10 yards it hit to the right of my fletched arrow about 4 inches with the nock end way way pointed left. I was suprised it was so bad since earler today I was shooting about 2 inch groups at 60 yards.
    So-where do I start tuning? Im new to it, do I start with a paper tune?
    Im shooting a parker python (solocam) 70lbs 29 in DL. Shooting Victory decimator arrows (DSG brand) 350 cut at 28.5
    Thanks for the help

2. ganderss2424

ganderss2424 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’m not an expert but I would check your manufactures specs for center shot on your bow and then start bareshaft paper tune. I’ve had the best luck with bareshaft paper tuning. I’ll start at 5 yds get a bullet. Then move to 10 yds until I get a bullet hole and finally end at 15yds. Remember to use the same arrow for this. And the further back
    You get the adjustment become very micro. I do this tune inside in my basement. Just a side note, if you were shooting a lot of arrows, it could be fatigue setting in on your form. Maybe give yourself a breather and pick it back up the next day or two when you are fresh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This will help with tuning any solocam:

Attached Files:

4. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I would start with making sure that everything is in spec, then paper tune a fletched arrow, then bareshaft. It is worth noting that bareshafts are so sensitive that unless you have really good 100% repeatable form you will end up chasing your tail, I think there are other methods of tuning that can get you a very precise tune with less of a headache

copperhead likes this.
  5. blueicefire

blueicefire Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Get everything in spec.. Put it on center shot for the rest and shoot through paper from say 3 - 5 ft out.. Get that tuned to bullets, I then walk back tune the bow.. Sight in at 10 or 15, then without moving the sight back to 40 or 50 or 60. If the arrows are drifting, then slightly.. ever so slightly move the rest in the direction you need the arrow to move. If you are good with paper at that 5 ft, you shouldn't be too far off at 60. Paper is just a starting point, not an end all be all. If not, then you probably have form issues that need to be fixed, or you could say if you are grouping well at 10 - 60 yards, unless things are way out of spec, not sure I would really worry about it..