Bad Shoulder

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by NUARCHER, Feb 8, 2018.

1. NUARCHER

NUARCHER Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Ok I'm sure this has been discussed many times but I'll ask anyway. How many guys and gals have been able to work back up to shooting max draw weight on your bow after a shoulder injury.

mikey custom-g and grommel like this.
  2. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Shoulder injury covers a broad spectrum of injuries with different recoveries etc. I could probably get back to shooting 70lbs but the deer and antelope I killed this season couldn't tell the difference between 60lbs and 70lbs.

What type of shoulder injury do you have?

3. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    we all recover and heal differently! But, be sure to follow all the Doctors orders and absolutely follow the physical therapy to the T. Trust me, I had both shoulders done and I'm shooting 57 pounds, instead of normal 60lbs. Best of luck to you!!

cantexian likes this.
  4. NUARCHER

NUARCHER Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I believe it's in the rotator cuff I hurts it throwing a water logged strap over a load when I was a truck driver. I've tried to shoot my bow at 73 pounds which is maxed out. Shoot two arrows at max DW and my shoulder was done.

5. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Go get a diagnosis from a doctor. Come back and look me up. Depending on the nature of the injury, I can probably give you some ideas on how to strengthen it. I have spent the last 11 years working as a personal trainer/S&C coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    Swamp Stalker, dstouffer and WillO like this.
  6. mikey custom-g

mikey custom-g Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have many times over the years.

It takes a program of exercise and sticking to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had my shoulder done, rotator cuff repair. A year later I tried a 60# bow. 1 draw and was done. Back it down to 30#. 2 draws and was done. Make a big difference if you 30 or 70. Had a strap slip on a climbing stick in January and gave that shoulder a jerk. Still hurts and raising it above my head is limited. If your in that 30 + year range you probably can bring it back to near normal strength. If you in the 60 + range, don't expect it and I doubt any exercise regiment is going to make a big difference. As one goes up in years the arthritis comes in to the joints and very little can be done to stop that. Just a fact of life. I don't pick up a vertical bow any more, but I still enjoy the deer and turkey hunting.

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  8. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Lower that poundage or you won't be shooting anytime soon! Trust me

cantexian likes this.
  9. Hatfield Hunter

Hatfield Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    had 2 major surgeries on left shoulder 1 rotator tear and impingement, second was from a fall---had 6 anchors used to tie down ligaments-- I can pull back 50 pounds but can no longer hold bow up for more than 2 seconds, my arm just slowly loweres---used to shoot 65 pounds, have had to go to xbow--well its better than sitting home watching ellen and the view !!!

toadmeister likes this.
  10. NUARCHER

NUARCHER Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I did turn it down it's at 63lbs I can shoot it at 63 all day long. I was just hoping to shoot it maxed for 100% peak prefomance of the bow

11. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You need to get it worked up to know what your dealing with. I hope it works out for you.

12. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    First off good luck in getting your shoulder back to feeling good. This year I dropped down from a 70lb bow to a 60lb bow. Feels great. I'll be 50 in 7 Years and if I need to dial it back down to a 50lb draw weight I'll do that and not worry about it all. Up the tip weight of my arrows and they will plow through any deer I'm hunting.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

13. toadmeister

toadmeister Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    LOL, we'll said. When my wife watches those shows I go fown to the mancave!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

14. Cayden

Cayden Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hurt mine shooting my bow for the first time of 2017, couldn't hunt all last season. Started early this year with low poundage and shooting as often as I could...now I'm back up to shooting 70lbs daily, I noticed pulling my bow back with my chest muscles instead of my shoulder makes a huge difference.

15. toadmeister

toadmeister Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Pushing your bow forward with your chest, I knew what you meant :)

I too have focused on getting at least half my draw from pushing with my chest, similar to a bench press.

I typically do excersizes with those large rubber-band thingys at the gym. I don't actually do bench presses anymore as they are not good for my body mechanics and hard on the joints.

I used to bench 400+ back in college but couldn't pull my brothers 80# bow back, LOL. I'm much more interested in flexibility and range of motion for things I want to physically perform repeatedly in comfort I'm older. I have a bulged disk in my neck also so gotta take care.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

16. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    As we speak, I'm recovering from rotator cuff surgery, which was on March 28th. It's a sloooow process. I went from not being able to even raise my arm extended, to total ROM with much work! I literally just now tried to draw my bow (60lbs), but can only do it one time, and a second time is VERY labored. A third time ain't happening.
    I use the black colored bands for exercise, and loop (doubled) it around a bed post, then pull back to mimic drawing my bow. I do repetitions to build my strength. I'm hoping to be good by the start of the season. If not, I'll have to "resort" to my CB. :lol:

17. EvoldedWhitetailSolutions

EvoldedWhitetailSolutions Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in the same boat, torn rotator cuff.. snow this season, not sure what to expect next season

18. Pasty_Man_Thighs

Pasty_Man_Thighs Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Follow what your PT says. I don't say that because my wife is a PT. I say that on my own will and volition ish. But for real, I've dislocated my shoulder 3x and working your way up to the weight slowly is key. Work on range of motion stuff too. My wife uses a lot of kettle bells and resistance band work for rehabilitating upper body clients

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums