Backyard Plot Ideas

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by airenlow, Oct 7, 2018.

1. airenlow

airenlow Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Backyard food plot, 1-2 acres, for year-round wildlife viewing and occasional hunting. Low maintenance is preferred. I'm researching clover and alfalfa currently. What would you plant???

This is purely hypothetical at this point, so I don't know soil type, terrain, etc.

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Clover is cheap and easy and pretty fool proof. If you plant alfalfa I would plant it in the fall.

3. joeys.17

joeys.17 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Antler king mix of clover has worked for me the past few years! easy to maintain and grows pretty much anywhere.

4. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've been kicking the idea around of doing perennial patches separated by annual plantings on a small 1 1/2 acre plot but I also like to overthink ideas and figure out a plethora of ways to complicate things.

If you are looking for low maintenance then clover, alfalfa and chicory will do just fine. Just put a good amount of work in to the initial preparation of the seed bed. You can always leave a little room around the edge to plant whatever annuals you want, corn, soybean, buckwheat, lab lab, clay peas sunnhemp, sunflowers in the summer and brassicas in the winter.