backup bow

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by isaiah, Apr 7, 2011.

1. isaiah

isaiah Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    do you need one? why/why not

what if your bow is only a year old?

reason for the question is that i have a buddy looking at a back-up bow. his (Mathews Z7) is a year old and now looking at an Elite. dont want to talk him outta anything (his money) but just want to make sure i've covered all the bases that a friend needs to when asking questions WHY.

2. AZChokester

AZChokester Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I always take 2 bows, I try to shoot both as much as I can.

3. Colorado Luckydog

Colorado Luckydog Newb

Dislikes Received:
    If I'm going for the day, I only bring one bow. If I'm going up for several days, I always bring a backup. It would suck to have a hunting trip ruined because your bow wasn't working.

4. OHbowhntr

OHbowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have too many bows, but that being said, I took two bows to Colorado the last time I went, and will likely take two bows again this fall.....

5. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A couple years ago down at camp my buddy's clip on his pull up rope broke and his bow fell 20+ feet. Broke the sight and stabilizer on impact... We were 2.5+ hours from home.

Luckily I had my back up bow with us for him to use.... Now he also has a backup bow.

6. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It depends where and how much you hunt. If you only hunt around home and can hunt any time you want, you might not need one. But if you hunt a long way from home and only get there once in a while, it would be wise to have one. How close the nearest pro shop is could fiqure in on the decision also.

7. Hoyt 'N' It

Hoyt 'N' It Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would have two bows if it were possible, but right now I can't...

8. CMTRAV

CMTRAV Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't have two bows. But I do have an extra string, release, sight, rest, easy out(removes stripped screws and allen bolts), buss cable whenever I am traveling away from home.

Its great to have all this stuff with you and if something breaks or something goes wrong it doesn't ruin your hunt.

9. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I started having a backup bow two years ago. I put too much time into hunting year round to miss out on hunts because something broke and I can't get parts/time to fix it.

I truly have a backup bow this year. I have the exact same bow, with the exact same accs on it. I can pick it up and go like nothing happened.

10. Hoyt 'N' It

Hoyt 'N' It Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    hopefully another year I can get another bow!

11. isaiah

isaiah Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    this is what i'd strive for. exact same set up for each bow. his mind is pretty much made up just wanted to make sure i hit him on all the good questions. no trips planned, bow shop is close (within 15miles)

12. isaiah

isaiah Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    i was too late and failed.... he bought it! now lets see if he posts about it =-)

13. bz_711

bz_711 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly Jim:lol:.
    For years I only had one - as I only hunted 30 minutes from home, and if anything happened I could be at pro-shop that night to repair. Plus with a 3.5 month whitetail season I didn't fear missing a day if it happened (which it never did).

...But, after going after Elk in CO last year - the "what if's" crept in on that trip. 14 hours from home, hours of wasted hunting time if I had to visit a pro shop, etc. Just got a new PSE, I will keep my old Hoyt as a backup. Even though they are huge differences in the two - the backup will still remain tuned to it's arrows, and worse case scenario I'm confident I could be grouping broadheads out to 30 yards with it in a matter of minutes...so for trips farther than an hour - I will travel with 2 bows.

I also like the idea of having an extra in case anybody wants to give archery a try...I could let them try out the backup bow for a while...

14. stikbow26

stikbow26 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nope only one!!! I shoot a Elite Hunter and part of Elite warranty is if you are on a hunt and anything happens to your bow you call them and they will next day air you the same bow to finish off your hunt with for free..Best warranty around..

15. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    That's definitely a great plan, but still isn't the same as having a backup ready to shoot. After you wait a day to get your "new" bow you still have to sight it in and make sure things are shooting properly, which we all know can take awhile. Worst case you're down for 2 days or so.

Most people are within a day's drive of a pro shop. So theoretically you could drive there, get your bow fixed (or buy a new one) and be back in the same amount of time.

On top of all that, with the quality of today's bows you just don't see the amount of failures that you used to. Meaning most things that break can be easily fixed or replaced - like a sight, rest, etc. With the wondeful Internet even if you're a day away from a new bow you can always have stuff overnighted to you (string, sight, etc) and be up and running the next day with your same bow.

With that said, I have a 2nd bow at home that I theoretically COULD use as a backup if the need arises. It would take some setup time, but should be hunt-worthy in a day or so.

16. bz_711

bz_711 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed...and being out 2 days of hunting on an out-state hunt is typically half your hunt.
    I've yet to be in a hunting camp that even had an address to allow for an overnight delivery. My backup will probably never get used - it would take my primary bow getting crushed or string cut - otherwise rests, sights, d-loop, etc could just be pulled from backup bow (or just have these backup parts)...to make the primary bow still capable.

17. rickmur

rickmur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I had 2 bows for the longest time but somehow I ended up with only 1 bow more than a few years ago. Right now I have an Bowtech Alegence that before next year will become a backup when I purchash a Mathews Z7 Extream. I felt naked all that time without a backup.

18. michael_pearce

michael_pearce Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I really belive that you only truly need a back up bow on out of state trips.
    Maybe your buddy just wanted the excuse to buy another bow.
    I know I would if I could.
    Hell if I had to I would shoot my wifes bow.

19. KodiakArcher

KodiakArcher Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Why? Because it might snow!
    [​IMG]

20. D34

D34 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Alright, I will oust myself, I am the "buddy" and yes I did buy another bow. I wanted a back up bow and pulled the trigger. Now just have to decide which one will be the back up.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011