Backpack hunters

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by Cledus, Jan 18, 2016.

1. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Mystery Ranch does make a good pack, I'll look at them when and if my current setups fail.

I usually always leave the bone in for a little bit of rigidity on the pack, I cut off the legs at the lower joint and remove the entire hide. It's personal preference I imagine but I like being able to get the heavier part up a bit higher to save on the back. I'm not one to carry a 80lb bag of jello around if I can help it. :D[/QUOTE]

very good point on benefit of leaving the bone in to add rigidity ...thanks

2. Cledus

Cledus Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Finally had a chance to set up my Sawtooth and get it seam sealed this evening. Sets up pretty easily, and in just a few minutes. Doing the sealing was not fun, but I hope I did a good job. Might set it up again in the next week or so and get another coat on it.

13275819_10206335597890993_2137817267_n.jpg

Using the tie-outs on the side is a must IMO, as it provides way more room once you are inside. Hunting wise I would say there is more than enough room for 2 guys plus gear, and for just camping I think you could easily fit 3 people possibly 4 if you really wanna squeeze em in! Can't wait to spend a weekend camped out in it!

Also, I ended picking up a Kifaru Slick Bag, decided to go that route after watching one of the Gritty podcasts and Aron explained the pros/cons of both down and synthetic bags. For me, I don't want to risk having my bag go flat after it gets wet, so I chose a synthetic bag. I also like that they are a bit more rugged, so I can use my bag while glassing, and now be worried about rips and tears as much.

After that, its pretty much just been looking into all the different hunts I would eventually like to plan out. Elk, Mtn. Goat and Caribou are probably top of the list. Hopefully DIY.