Backpack hunters

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by Cledus, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Cledus

Cledus Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Looking for more input: probably going to pickup one of these tents soon, but wanting to know how important the vestibule is while hunting. I can see pros and cons for each, depending on the weather obviously.

w/o vestibule: Big Agnes Scout UL 2 Tent - 2 Person, 3 Season - Tents - Tents & Shelters - Camp & Hike :: CampSaver.com

W/ the vestibule: Big Agnes Super Scout UL 2 - 2 Person, 3 Season - Tents - Tents & Shelters - Camp & Hike :: CampSaver.com

I feel like the one with the vestibule is a better option, but worried that the size may limit placement options.

2. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I have a big agnes seed house 3 and love it. I personally love the vestibule as it gives me a dry place to put my gear without taking up space in the tent, I can leave my boots there without tracking stuff inside as well. The SH 3 is supposed to be a 3 person tent but it would have to be 3 really small people to fit. I've never had trouble finding a place to put it.

3. Cledus

Dislikes Received:
    e
    Yeah, I really like the idea of having it, and I suppose if room is an issue for setup I could setup without it if need be.

4. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would have a vestibule too. Boots are nice to have outside of tent with other things. I like having bow covered too. Sometimes it doesn't matter with bow. Might be wet already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Cledus

Dislikes Received:
    Update: picked up a used Stone Glacier Solo pack, with Krux frame. Also have the lid, and Spotting scope pocket.

Currently looking at the Jimmy Tarps Granite Mountain with the Summit Bivy. I can't decide what sleeping bag I want.

6. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I went with the Horn Hunter Full Curl System. Heavier, but pretty versatile.

Still considering the Jimmy, tarptent, but have also looked at the Kifaru and zpacks.

Undecided on sleeping bag too. Leaning toward a synthetic (quick drying but heavy) but I've also thought about dridown (a bit lighter).

@cledus have you looked at trekking poles?

7. Cledus

Dislikes Received:
    For bags I am leaning toward the WM Badger, but its $$$

I haven't looked at trekking poles yet, and really don't know where to start.

8. the wanderer

the wanderer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Cledus, I know you already purchased your pack, but for anyone else still looking here is a link on Amazon for the Alps Outdoorz Commander pack and frame for $105. Amazon.com : ALPS OutdoorZ Commander Freighter Frame Plus Pack Bag, 5250 Cubic Inches : External Frame Backpacks : Sports & Outdoors
    This is the pack I bought for my elk hunt two years ago. It worked really well for me. It does sqeak a little bit when you walk, but for the price it was a great pack. I used it to pack in to our base camp for 7 days, had just over 60 lbs packing in, and put an 80 lb bag of water softener salt on the meat shelf for training.

9. MO Shorthair

MO Shorthair Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just found this thread and skimmed through most of the post. Some really good information here. Forums are a great place to find a lot of info. I was in this position a few years ago, boots are very important I have used Danner Pronghorns for three back country hunts and just recently purchased some Mendle boots sold and marketed through Cabela's. Broke them in during deer & pheasant season. One thing that I wish I would have spent more time doing the first couple hunts is getting good at calling. Check out Elk101.com for calls they seem to be pretty good to work with. Agree with another post about Big Agnes tent I really like my Fly Creek UL 2 for a 1 person tent. Vestibule is a must in my opinion. Another good site to check out and get some really good used gear is rokslide.com they focus on western hunting not so much whitetail. Good luck!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  10. Cledus

Dislikes Received:
    I have the primos bugle tube, and hoochie mama cow call, but just recently purchased the Phelps game calls Elk commander mouth call and their bugle tube to start practicing. It's tough, but hopefully I can get the hang of it. Their EZ-estrus call is awesome too.

I frequent Rokslide a lot now, their is a lot of info there and people seem to be pretty cool so far. I also enjoy Corey Jacobsen's tips on elk101. Gritty Bowmen podcasts are cool too, Aron Snyder has so much info it is insane.

11. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Guys if you are going to order an Alpz pack now, do yourself a favor and order the Xtreme series. Waaaaaaay worth the money, these are packs I'm ditching my Exo for. The improvements are Extreme versions have upgraded features like 1680D ballistic nylon, hypalon at the stress points, Lycra shoulder straps and molded foam. Definitely work the money in my opinion for those upgrades.

12. bradn4201

bradn4201 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Tell me more. .. I'm interested. About the vestibule?

13. Cledus

Dislikes Received:
    Placed my order today for the Jimmy Tarps Granite Mountain W/ Vestibule and a stove jack built in. I also ordered a Summit Bivy from him. Anxious to check them out when they get here!

Any suggestions on trekking poles?

My main next pool of thought starts with sleeping bags/quilts. What are the benefits of each style? I have narrowed it down to two products.

For a bag, id go with the WM Badger: Badger GWS | Western Mountaineering

For a quilt, id go with the EE Revelation: Ultralight Sleeping Bag | Down Quilt | Revelation

Obviously, they are at two opposite price spectrums. But, I'd rather pay once, cry once if it is worth it.

14. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Bag-for what you're looking to spend, did you look at/consider the nemo sleeping bags (like the sonic)?

Poles-from what I've seen so far, look for adjustable length and twist locks may not be long term reliable. Leki and black diamond are two popular brands.

15. Cledus

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't looked at the Nemo line yet, but read about them earlier tonight.

16. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Trekking poles?

Are you guys going mountaineering or hunting? :D

17. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    There isn't much too it, a dry secluded space to put your gear. I've also used it when you get the 4th beer in a three beer bladder and have to take a leak in the pouring rain... From your knees of course. If it's really hot and your're sure it won't rain or dew, I leave it off and enjoy the sky through the mesh tent.

18. Cledus

Dislikes Received:
    lol, I had heard they make a huge difference in the end.

19. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Eh.... It's something else to make noise, remember and pack around IMO lol

20. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Perhaps, but maybe very desirable for holding up his tarp tent. And depending upon load he's carrying and terrain perhaps useful more for its intended purpose. No?